Pages

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Update on the Trail, March 6

We have an update from Jan!

Hi Cindy...it is Jan and we are at Nikolai....my sled is broken, but I am still on the trail. Actually is driving better now that I think that it broke more. Has to do with the bridal harness. In any event, the steps were no problem...the area after was quite a challenge. That is where I hit a tree with my sled. The next day in the gorge I was having a heck of a time. Couldn't drive the sled and it was a nightmarish ride. Lucky to have made it intact and relatively unhurt. At one point my boot was stuck through the brake and it was rather terrifying as I know that is how people snap their lower leg. Luckily, my sled flipped over and it freed the brake bar and allowed it to lift and I was able to pull my leg out from it. I managed to steer clear of all the open water and make it across the snow bridges. I was so glad to make it to Rohn. Left Rohn in the daylight and was so glad. Made it through Post Creek and across lakes and lakes of sheer ice, just following the ice scratches. Made it up the glacier and we went to the left and that was not good, ended up going over rocks and making it back to the trail.


This has been far more difficult than last year! Getting ready to head to McGrath. One hour of sleep. Fueled with grilled cheese and tomato soup by the school.

All 16 dogs in tow. Yea!

I have been fighting sleep while on the sled.

Jan



1 comment:

  1. Jan, you are really getting a harrowing adventure this time around! So happy to hear that you are safe and free from any injuries. Hope the sled continues to work okay. Is it true that you can use a back-up sled? So excited to know that all the pups are with you!

    Can't wait to share your adventure with the kids tomorrow.

    God speed.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete