I don't watch television. Ever. But when it is Iditarod time, I can't pull myself away from the Ultimate Insider. I love being able to view the whole map of the race course and pinpoint where every musher is along the route. I can't tell you exactly what Jan is doing right this minute, but I can guess - she has fed her dogs and everyone is resting. She has been at the 3rd check point since 12:10 her time, so almost 2 hours. Her mushing friend Angie is there as well. And her other mushing friend Bob is resting 8 miles out. He'll be there in about an hour. Bob has a team of Siberian huskies, a bit slower on the trail than the Alaskan huskies on Jan and Angie's teams. More about that later.
The third check point, at mile 108, is at the Winter Lake Lodge in Finger Lake, population 2. Yes, only 2. After this rest time the long climb up Rainy Pass begins. Dogs and mushers need a lot of energy for the next part of their journey! When it's all uphill, the musher is usually not riding so much on the sled, but running along beside it. Go, Jan, go! I hope that injured leg can take this next bit!
The 2nd check point, at mile 68, is at Skwetna, population 90. Skwetna is near the confluence of the Skwenta and Yentna Rivers. The check point is the log home of Joe and Norma Delia. I don't think they must get much sleep during the first 24 hours of Iditarod! Jan left this check point just before 7am Alaska time.
The 1st check point, at mile 42, is at Yentna Station Roadhouse, at the home of Dan and Jean Gabryzack. Population 8 - are all 8 people part of the Gabryzack family or what?! No one really stopped there for much longer than it took to sign in and out, but from 8pm to midnight they had a steady stream of company as all the teams were fresh and moving fast. posted by CindyK
Monday, March 4, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment