Jan and Angie and Bob have been resting in McGrath all day today. McGrath, population 479, is at race mile 289. Located near the confluence of the Kuskokwim and Takotna Rivers, this community has two stores, a bar and a restaurant. Not a bad place to rest for a day. All three mushers arrived around 10pm last night and declared their 24 hour lay over. That 24 hour time will be adjusted a bit to account for the order in which they departed from Willow. (Doesn't the start of the race seem like forever ago?) Anyway, I expect all three to be on their way within an hour.
I didn't hear from Jan today. I know some of you are concerned about her broken sled. Not to worry. For one thing, Jan very intentionally shipped a second sled to a check point along the trail just in case. Many mushers do this. Also, you need to know that Jan is like a female MacGyver. She can fix or build just about anything. I do have to say though that if Jan says she had a "rough ride" then you and I would have been absolutely terrified!
Julie Reimer, one of Jan's dog handlers for the start and re-start, sent me a very cool picture today of Jan's departure from Willow. I am setting that photo aside along with a few others for Jan to share and write about herself. There is no way I can step into her shoes and talk about what it's like to be behind a team of 16 super excited sled dogs at the start of a 1000 mile race!
Julie also informed me that there are several pictures of Jan, Bob, and Angie posted in the Anchorage Daily News. This is the link: www.adn.com. Scroll down on the web page to the Photos and Videos section. From day 3: pictures 22, 24, 25, 30, and 37. From day 5: pictures 10 and 13 are of a poster a student made to welcome Jan to Anvik. Every musher has a poster. How fun is that?! Pictures are posted on this website daily, so be sure to check it out. CindyK
Friday, March 8, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Loving this blog. I have a virtual friend in McGrath... she buys from me through Etsy. She always makes cookies and fudge for the mushers and delivers them to the checkpoint. Hopefully Jan enjoyed her goodies. Onward... safely.
ReplyDeleteI am absolutely sure that all the mushers love those "touches of home" - what's better than homemade treats when you've been working so hard! This is just one more way that people can get involved with the race. CindyK
Delete