Pages

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

ABSOLUTE BEAUTIFUL DAY

Well, we only ran one team today...took longer than I thought to find everything to hook up a dog team!   I couldn't find the harnesses and then when I went back out to my hook up area, and there they were hanging on the harness rack.  When I looked out there before, I didn't see them because they were totally buried in the snow.  Too funny.

I hooked up Turbo and Betty in lead, Ursa and Saturn in swing, Circus and Chef in team and Roan and Spot in wheel.  They were all eager to go and Turbo, Betty, and Saturn were jumping and airborn, wanting to take off far before we did.  Just before we left the kennel, I saw DeeDee go out.

What went through my mind is that I wouldn't have to have a head on pass on suicide hill.  I wondered where it would be that we would find our teams head to head.  Of course it had to be on one of the narrow sections of the trail!  I was able to get my sled off to the side and the pass was smooth.  

Out in the swamp, I took off my gloves and I dug into my anorak pocket and carefully pulled out my camera.  It was so beautiful that I wanted to capture the moment...and share it all with you.   Breathtaking beautiful.   Well, I couldn't believe it...my SD card was not in my camera.   If I had a dollar for every time that has happened I could almost fund an Iditarod...(OK, not really, but I have done it far too often.)  

What I would like to do tomorrow is charge up the battery to the Go Pro...and film a run.   What I don't want to do is record over the Ceremonial Start.  I borrowed the camera and the owner is in Hawaii (nice place to be).  So...with no owner's manual and no idea how to use the darn thing, I may decide on caution and not record tomorrow's run.

It was quite funny, Mark handed me the camera and gave me all of one or two minutes of instruction.  "Push this button to turn it on and this button to start filming".  We had a heck of a time getting the case opened last night.  It takes a macro SD card and I will be taking a trip to Walmart on Thursday when we are in town and pick up a card reader for it.  I can't wait to replay the Ceremonial Start run to Campbell Air Strip.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Jan! I have a photo of you and Mark when you got those two minute instructions on how to use the Go Pro! I was surprised at the "crash course" instruction and am hoping you have some great video to show for it! - Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...send it! I know that se whould have some wonderful video...that is if the camera was aimed right. I had to laugh...at the start a guy came running up to me and re adjusted the camera. He said that it would have taken a wonderful video of the tree tops. So...I am holding my breath. Will be going into town today and will pick up a card reader.

      Delete
    2. OK - will email the photos I have of you learning to be a Go-Pro expert! - Julie

      Delete
  2. Most cameras have a limited amount of storage on the camera itself. I know this because I have done the same thing before. The tricky part for me was to find the photos I took after the fact. I had to find a young person to do that for me. LOL! CindyK

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan, I so sympathize. I've been without my camera for some silly reason - battery not charged, forgot to put in gear...you name it! It's so frustrating when a great picture is lost! Hope your GoPro pictures turn out for you.

    ReplyDelete