Pages

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Jan and her team are out of the race to Nome....

Well, students and everyone else following Jan's blog but not able to see what's happening on the trail, Jan scratched at Eagle Island, race mile 567, half way up the Yukon River. Other mushers encountered some extreme conditions along this stretch - wind, cold, and standing water on the trail. Jan stopped out of concern for her dogs. From what I have read, this stretch is really difficult, not only for the physical conditions they are dealing with, but also because it is really really boring. It's like running on a treadmill for an 8-12 hour stretch without a TV for entertainment. This is mentally challenging for the dogs who thrive on the variety of the trail and on problem solving with their musher. So they have reached a limit that Jan feels is enough. That is good enough for me, too.

I hope Jan is able to be in touch personally soon. I hope all the dogs are okay and just exhausted. I am so proud of Jan and her team and very glad that she has put the well being of her dogs first. Great race, Jan! Hugs to you from CindyK and don't you dare regret this decision! We're holding you close in our hearts until you are all safely home.

In the meantime, Mitch Seavey and Aliy Zirkle have reached Nome and several other mushers will arrive within hours. Jan's friends Bob and Angie are still on the way. This race is not over until the last musher arrives in Nome! The lantern is still hanging and is still lit!   CindyK


 

8 comments:

  1. I wholeheartedly agree with your comments. To put the needs of her dogs ahead of her own is truly selfless! Jan should be proud of her accomplishment. We look forward to giving her a big hug and keep her and her dogs in our thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were so happy to follow Jan's journey and agree that sometimes you just have to know when to quit. We are inspired by her amazing effort and care for her dogs. We hope to hear more about her adventures soon!

    Mrs. Peterson's Class

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job Jan! We are part of a third-grade class following the Iditarod, and Jan was our Musher. We cheered each checkpoint, and the fact that she still had 15 dogs in the race up until the end. We knew it had to be due to her taking great care with them, and it was no surprise that their welfare was behind her decision to drop out. We are humbled and inspired, and wish Jan heartfelt congratulations on a job well done. Keep us all posted on your next adventure. P.S. Hugs to Otter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much....and Otter sends a whoo whoo...I always refer to him as my "Whoo whoo dog" as he is a talker and we talk back and forth together.

      Delete
  4. Hey Jan! SO SO proud of you! Way to hang in there in very tough conditions! I hope you and all your dogs are OK and enjoying some rest in a warm, dry place!
    Looking forward to hearing from you!
    Take Care, Karen Fry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, We were resting in Unalakleet and the dogs were enjoying the sun, however, today the weather changed and the winds came. Very windy and cold. I hope that they get flown out of Unalakleet SOON !

      Delete
  5. This is exactly why we all are here to support Jan--because of who she is and the way she "walks the talk!" She's a true winner in my book!!! I know it must have been an incredibly difficult decision, but like everyone else here, I add my praise for her efforts! I think it was an heroic effort with the problems with the weather, the sled, etc. Hurrah for Jan and her team!!!

    ReplyDelete