Well, the decision does have to be made soon. I have dogs who either have to be purchased or returned to who I leased them from. I have to make the financial commitment to care and feed an Iditarod size kennel of dogs till training starts. (At a minimum of 20 dogs).
I was so proud of my team this year and they did so well. We had the diarrhea go through my team (and me...more on that later) about two dogs at a time. Was so glad it didn't hit them all at once. When that would happen, good eaters wouldn't eat well for a couple of days.
When we came into Eagle Island, they were all back to eating and looking really good. It was a shame to have to end it all in Eagle Island after all they they and I had accomplished on the trail.
I leased Betty and Chef. Betty ran in lead for quite a bit of the race. She did really well. She would be a dog that I would like to keep on my team if I run again, this next Iditarod. I still need one good proven leader. With that I should have a pretty good front end. Mary spent all of 3 weeks with Turbo, Betty and Chef. I spent one week on the runners with them. It will be great to have the entire training season up until the Iditarod with them working together as a team.
I also had Daisy and Jack on my team. They will both be retired after this Iditarod. They are both wonderful dogs. Jack has a very special place in my heart as he lead me to Nome two times. Once on the Serum Run and again on last year's Iditarod. They are both eager to run still, but will most likely be used to run the puppies.
Cindy, I am looking forward to talking with you about your ideas on fundraising. I would like to also thank those who have committed to sponsoring next year if I run. I have a lot of thinking to do to make the best possible decision.
For any who want to be on a mailing list for newsletter updates, please send me an email...jls.livingmydream@comcast.net
PS for anyone out there who is really computer literate...please get a hold of me to help me manage a mailing list. It was a nightmare with my comcast last year as I couldn't send out a newsletter to more than 20 people at a time. I spent more time cutting and pasting and not being very efficient...during training, time is so very valuable.
Thursday, March 21, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment