Yes, you read that right...flew all the way to Nome and the pilot attempted a landing and then pulled up and we were on our way back to Anchorage. I can't believe it ! I have been sitting here following Bob on the tracker and there is no way that I will make it to Nome before him. I have been trying to Call Myra to let her know that I am coming...but there has been no answer. I hope that she will not blow the surprise.
I am SOOOOOO BUMMED ! ! ! ! ! ! Well, Bob will probably think he is hallucinating when he sees me...that is if I ever make it to Nome. I am scheduled out at 6 am. WE will give it another go in the morning.
When I went through TSI one of the agents came up to me and said "Your back??" I told him of our aborted landing. I know that the reason that he remembered me is that I am wearing black bunny boots, coveralls, parka with a ruff and caring a draw string bag carry on....that says "COOKER STEVES" I am a sight for sore eyes. I look like I belong out on the trail.
Sunday, March 17, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hope your flight got out!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on all of your and your dogs' efforts! I'm just an armchair musher (for now at least!) in Fairbanks...I get Iditafever every year and love to look at the mushers' websites. I love the name of yours! I'm from Western Washington, too, and can understand where your love of the outdoors came from.
I'm sorry things transpired so that you had to scratch, but still, it's such an accomplishment to get to where you were. All of the risks you took and the dedication and effort you put in to make it that far are truly commendable. And it must be a wonderful experience to be traveling in the middle of Alaska like that!
Seeing other ladies racing and dogsledding and yes, following their dreams, no matter what their age, is also very inspiring to me. I'm 39 and sometimes feel quite hopeless about the future, lol. It's so nice to have so many role models to read about and learn from. No musher would be out there unless they loved what they were doing! So thank you for this :) I really need to try it for myself somehow.
Thanks for reading my comment, just wanted to share some thoughts :) Good luck with the flights!
Anne Marie, Thank you for your comments. You are so young and have so much ahead of you. You need to find a way to drive a team. Follow your dreams. I don't regret for a moment all that I have gone through for last year...my rookie Iditarod, all the way to Nome : ) and this year...unfortunately to Eagle Island.
ReplyDeleteExperiences that can never be duplicated....One thing that I will say about running Iditarod, is that it shows you just how capable you are...that you are FAR MORE Capable than you could ever imagine.
Thanks Jan, you're such an inspiration! I hope you enjoy whatever next you'll be doing. If you ever need a place to crash in Fairbanks you're welcome to contact me, there's a spare bedroom. Dry cabin tho! hikergirl1@live.com
DeleteThanks AnnMarie. We will have to keep in touch!
Delete