Pages

Thursday, March 7, 2013

You can teach everything from anything.

       In 1998,  I completed the Teacher Certification program at UW Bothell, a member of cohort #2. Gosh that was a long time ago! As soon as I finished the program I went right back to my original career. Teaching seemed way too difficult for introverted CindyK! One of our cohort's mantras was the title of this blog entry: You can teach everything from anything. I think the Iditarod is curriculum rich in that regard. I have not explored the resources out there for teachers who bring the Iditarod into their classrooms, but off the top of my head, brainstorming for only 5 minutes, these are my ideas:

Math: statistics, distance, speed of travel, multiplication (# booties for a 16 dog team given you lose 75% along the trail and have to replace, for example), calories required and calories burned

Science: nutrition for dogs and humans, dog breeds, dog physiology, plants and animals encountered, extreme temperatures and how to survive them, effects of sleep deprivation, building a sled, aerodynamics, the environment in general i.e. drilling for oil in Alaska, wearing fur garments, the pipeline, etc.,  GPS systems and how they work

History: of the trail, of Alaska, of the race, of the mushers, of the dogs, of gold mining

Geography: of Alaska, of the route, longitude and latitude and altitude, reading topographical maps

Art: photography, drawing, Native Alaskan art, totem poles

Music: hmmm

English/literature: reading  - books about the race, the history, the mushers, the dogs, the people of Alaska; writing - endless possibilities for research, reports, creative writing about one's goals and dreams, writing to mushers (Did anyone notice that Flat Stanley showed up for this race? Ugh! That flat kid has visited me one too many times!)

Physical Education: how to train for such an event, a marathon, a long hike, a mountain climb

Social Studies: the various Native cultures found in Alaska, who has immigrated there, when and why and how; effect of the pipeline on culture

Religion: oops...probably not allowed - let's not go there

(Teachers, how did I do?)

       Jan loves interacting with students and teachers. She is a natural teacher herself and very creative so she really knows how to make learning fun. She has very little time to get onto the Internet while on the trail, usually just enough time to send a quick email every once in awhile. I don't think she reads her blog until she gets all the way back home, settles her doggies, sleeps for a solid three days, and untangles her hair.

       Soooo, what if she opened up her blog and found all kinds of Idita-reports from the students and classrooms across the country who are following her race?! I think she would be absolutely thrilled! It could be a really cool surprise. What do YOU think? We have about a week to pull it together. No new work, just what you have already done or are already doing. Can we do it?

       I'm thinking you could send things to me at my home email address cklettke@aol.com and I could copy/paste them into the blog. Pictures work also, but of course I would expect parental permission to post photos with students. Pictures of your work would be really cool.

       If you want to participate, leave a comment and let's get connected. If you think this is a really dumb idea, well, I hope it's not, but if you all really think so, we won't do it. Crossing my fingers that you will have fun with it though.                  CindyK


6 comments:

  1. Hi Cindy, This is St. Matthew School's 4th grade's 2nd year following Jan & the other mushers! Their teacher and I (I'm the teacher-librarian) collaborate on this. I just spent last week in Anchorage with a lot of teachers from around the country learning about the rich resources for teaching using the Iditarod. Your ideas are excellent examples of the breadth of ideas we experienced. I even saw Jan at the Mushers Banquet and at the ceremonial start.

    The students and I are checking daily to see how our fave mushers are doing. I'll have them send you some work and pics.
    Nancy Edwards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, St. Matthews 4th graders (my favorite grade when I was in grade school)! I look forward to seeing some of your work and I think Jan will be thrilled to see it also. Nancy, you must have had an awesome week. Even though I never taught, I think I would just love participating in all the teacher events and lectures and workshops. Imagine being the Teacher on the Trail! Wow! CindyK

      Delete
  2. Hi Cindy, Cool idea! We are happy to hear Jan loves students and classrooms because we'd love to invite her to come tell us about her adventures sometime. We are doing many of the things you mentioned above and others are great ideas for the future. I will send you some pictures of the things we are doing to follow the Iditarod and Jan's adventure! Sounds like a great project for us to think about tomorrow!

    Thanks so much for responding to our questions by the way! I can't tell you how much it means to us to receive your quick responses and feel like we are part of Jan's adventure!

    Go Jan Go!!!

    Mrs. Peterson and Room 502 at Meridian Park

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Room 502 at Meridian Park, I very much look forward to seeing the fun work you are doing to follow Jan and the Iditarod! Four classrooms have responded, 3 on the blog and one directly to me at my home email. Jan will be so surprised!

      CindyK

      Delete
  3. The kids at Cherry Valley would also like to be a part of this. I'll be sending some of their observations next week. They are also following Jan (and this blog)daily. They are learning a lot!

    Thank you!

    Julie @ Cherry Valley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie and kids at Cherry Valley, thank you so much! I think Jan will be very touched to see what you share with her. CindyK

    ReplyDelete