Mrs. Peterson from Meridian did a great job
sharing some Iditarod curriculum, which you kindly posted on Jan’s blog.
Unfortunately, many of the ideas are some we have used as well-maps, charts,
books, etc. I instruct the reading
groups for 4th and 5th graders, so I have many groups
that come to me, rather than a full, all day class.
I begin the Iditarod unit with the true story of
Balto and the Serum Relay of 1925. We go on to find out what happened to Balto
and his team, learn a little about Leonard Seppala. In year’s past I have had
the kids read Stone Fox as well.
In addition to what the kids will share in the
following notes, we have also done a D.O.L. (Daily Oral Language) where the
kids are given a sentence that is written incorrectly and they have to correct
it, using editing marks. We’ve had a word search puzzle and a cryptogram. Of
course, Jan’s blog has been the source of so much information. She’s taken us
“inside” a musher’s life with pictures of her team, information, and
preparation.
In trying to think up some ideas to send you, I
thought the best thing to do was to hear what impacted the kids. (The kids wrote in paragraph form-I just chose
to type them out like this to save space.)The following are messages to Jan
about what they have been studying:
Dear Jan,
I wanted to update you on stuff we have learned.
We have learned about military time, Balto. We read Woodsong. We watched part
of the ceremonial start on KTUU. We did a lot of research of mushers to win!
Mrs. E. showed us some really cool videos about the Iditarod! I am excited for
you to come and I’m looking forward to meeting you! Sincerely, Katie 11 years
old.
Dear Jan,
I have been tracking you. I think that you are
doing good. Tell Bob that he is doing good too. What I have been learning about
is how many calories the dogs have to eat compared to a Big Mac and how you
have to take care of the dogs. Last, but not least, I learned about the
mushers. Have you heard of the Jr. Iditarod? Well, I have. It sounds kind of
scary. So does the real Iditarod. I am tracking Dallas Seavey too, because he
is the youngest musher to win. Sincerely, Gracie, age 9.
Dear Jan,
These are some things we have learned: We have
learned about the trail, the Jr. Iditarod (that’s for kids 14-17 years old and
is 150 miles long in Alaska), how military time works, like what is 13:30 (1:30
in the afternoon). We also learned about Balto and the Serum Run in 1925, when
a small village in Nome was infected and the only cure was a serum and dogsled
teams were needed. We have also watched some videos and the Alaska station.
Sincerely, Alex (10)
Dear Jan,
I’ve been learning about the Iditarod and I
chose to pick Jeff King to follow. I’ve also been following you. It’s really
fun. We’ve been reading a book called Woodsong and I’ve learned about the trail
and military time. We learned about the 24 hour break and I’m so happy Jeff
King has been in the top ten every time I checked the Iditarod site. Sincerely,
Shane, age 11.
Dear Jan,
I have been learning about the Iditarod. Some
things we have learned are how to tell military time and how the person who
finishes last gets a red lantern. We have been watching videos on the Alaska TV
station. We’ve been reading books such as Balto and Woodsong. I am very excited
for you to be coming here. I hope you’re doing well. Sincerely, Alex. I am 10
years old.
Dear Jan,
I’ve been learning about the Iditarod. I have
learned military time. I also learned how to track a musher. I voted for Jeff
King because he has won four Iditarods. We looked at mushers records and we are
tracking you and Bob too on Mondays through Thursdays. We can follow it
weekends if we want to. I read some of Balto The Greatest Dog Ever. We looked
at Alaska TV stations. We watched some video and I learned that the musher who
gets last place gets the red lantern. I learned about the 24 hour layover and
the 8 hour layover. We are reading Woodsong by Gary Paulsen. Sincerely, Terry,
age 11.
Dear Jan,
I have been learning about the Iditarod and
these are some things I have been learning: How to tell military time and it’s
fun, like 21:30:00. I have also been learning about Susan Butcher and the Jr.
Iditarod and how the last place musher gets a red lantern. Also, we have
learned all about how to track mushers and to to pick a musher this year in
2013. I picked Peter Kaiser because he has been mushing for 3 years now and he
is an experienced musher. I also have been tracking you and Bob. You just left
Grayling and Bob is at Eagle Island. Sincerely, Connor, age 9.
Dear Jan,
I have learned a lot on the Iditarod. I am
tracking you, Bob and Lance Mackey. I have learned about Balto, the Serum Run,
Susan Butcher. I picked Lance because is a 4 time winner. You are in
Grayling! From Sam age 9.
Dear Jan,
I have been learning about the Iditarod. I’ve
learned military time, Balto, the Serum Run. I have learned how to track mushers
and so much more. I am tracking you and Bob. You just left Grayling. I’m
looking forward to meeting you and hopefully one of the dogs. I’m also tracking
Lance Mackey because he is a four time winner. Sincerely, Brennan.
Dear Jan,
I’ve learned the Iditarod can help learn about
living with wildlife, about getting beat up by rock. I’ve learned about
scratching in the Iditarod, moose attacks, the Red Lantern. It all started with
Balto in 1925. I’ve learned that Alaska
is the last great frontier. I’ve been learning facts about mushers. My musher
to win is Dallas Seavey because he’s the youngest winner. We’ve been tracking
you and Bob. Sincerely, Nathan age 11.
Dear Jan,
I’ve been learning about military time. I didn’t
understand that much. Also we learned last place gets a red lantern. I wish I
had one. We read some Iditarod books and Iditarod rules. You know we think the
Red Lantern is cool. The musher that I voted for is Martin Buser because he won
the race four times. From Nicholas, 10 years old.
Dear Jan,
I have been learning about eh Iditarod and it’s
so cool. I have learned about the Jr. Iditarod and some famous mushers like
Susan Butcher. I have read books like Woodsong, Balto and more. My favorite
thing to do when the Iditarod was going on was tracking mushers like you Jan. I
got to also learn how to tell military time. JAN, YOU DID SO WELL! Sincerely,
Kaiti, age 10.
Dear Jan,
I have been learning about stuff I would never
even guessed of like the great true story of Balto, The Jr. Iditarod and Susan
Butcher. Also we look at your blog every day. I voted for Dallas Seavey. I
voted for him because he won last year and trained at the Olympic Training
Center. I also voted that you would do good. From Nikoli, age 10.
Dear Jan,
I have read a lot of books about the Iditarod.
Even about Susan Butcher and the Jr. Iditarod. I am following you and Bob. I
have even voted for Bob to win. I hope you do well. I’ve also learned about
military time. It’s cool-not my favorite but it’s pretty cool. I think you have
gotten pretty far. I read a book about Balto. The videos of people on the
Iditarod look pretty harsh. I’m crossing my fingers you are okay. Hope you do
well. From Molly, age 9.
Dear Jan,
I have been learning about the Iditarod. Here
are some things I have learned: I have learned about military time. I bet it is
hard to remember. Then I also learned we were picking mushers. I picked Martin
Buser. I hope he and you do well. I have a wonderful reading teacher that
teaches us about the Iditarod. I have been tracking where people are going. I
hope you and Bob catch up together, because he is at Eagle Island and you are
at Grayling. I have been learning about Balto and the dogs. I’ve heard that the
dogs are the most important. HOPE YOU DO
WELL! By Rylan (I am a boy and I’m 10
years old.)
Dear Jan,
I learned a lot about the Iditarod. I read a lot
of books of the Iditarod. I learned about Balto. My teacher is reading a book
called Woodsong. She read it to me last year so now I understand it more. We
are seeing a lot of videos on the Iditarod. I know about military time. It’s
like knowing another language! I’ll bet the Iditarod feels so long. The whole
class was reading your blog. It is awesome!
I’m so sorry you scratched. You’re AWESOME!
WAY TO GO! I hope you win next year!!!
Melani age 11.
Dear Jan,
I learned about in the Iditarod there are many
difficult things. I learned about Balto. At first I thought the Iditarod
sounded easy and then I learned that it is hard. I voted for Jeff King , but I
hope you do well too. You are a winner to me!
Sincerely, Moses age 10
Dear Jan,
I am learning a lot of things. First, when I
went to Alaska I did dog sledding and they told us about the Iditarod as well.
I tried on an Iditarod coat then and saw a sled. Some things I learned facts in
our scavenger hunt at school. I learned military time. That was fun. I learned
that the last musher gets a red lantern. I think that is a fun tradition and
you will have something to remember the race. Sincerely, Ava, age 10.
Dear Jan,
I have learned many things about the Iditarod. I
learned that the last person to finish gets a lantern. I learned military time.
I think it’s very interesting that after 12:00 they go to 13:00. The musher I
have been tracking is Lance Mackey. We have talked about you and Bob. I think
it is cool that you guys are in Grayling and that Bob is in Eagle Island.
Sincerely, Philip 9 years old.
Dear Jan,
I’ve been studying the Iditarod. I’ve been
learning military time, Balto, the Serum Run. I picked Jeff King to win and I
picked you to do well. Right now you’re in Grayling and you just left. Bob is
in Eagle Island. So I hope you do well. Sincerely, Jevon age 10.
Dear Jan,
I have heard so much stuff about you that I
really want to meet you. I learned that the book Balto was about a disease that was deadly to children. The
book Woodsong feels like you’re actually in the Iditarod. How are your dogs? I’m really hoping to meet one of your dogs
and to meet you! At first when we learned about military time it was sort of
hard but then I got used to it. I saw on the Iditarod that you scratched. I’m
really sorry. But you get to stay in your warm house! YOU ROCK JAN!!! Sincerely, Valeria 10 years old!
Thank you so much for supporting Jan in this
way. You are also supporting teachers and students with their journey into the
adventure of Iditarod.
Sincerely,
Julie,
Duvall, WA
Dear students at Cherry Valley,
ReplyDeleteI decided to post everything from your teacher Julie just as it was sent to me because I cannot imagine anything more special for Jan to read right now. I know she probably feels sad about not being allowed to finish the race. I just know that everything you shared will cheer her up. Thank you for helping my friend feel better. CindyK
You are so right Cindy, I have so much to share with you guys when I come and visit. And, yes, I am sad that I wasn't able to finish. I really enjoy reading about all that you have learned. I will answer more, but right now I want to have a chance to get caught up on the blog. Keep following Bob !
ReplyDelete