Alaskan malamutes were typically used to haul freight. They are even bigger than Siberian huskies, stronger but slower. An interesting thing to know: The University of Washington in Seattle, where Jan went to school, calls their sport teams "The Huskies" but the husky mascot is really an Alaskan malamute named Dubs. Check it out!
![]() |
| Sandi Shrager raced Alaskan malamutes at the Cascade Quest. Most malamutes I know weigh 80-120 pounds. Malamutes never have blue eyes. |
The Alaskan huskies you see racing the Iditarod aren't Siberian huskies or Alaskan malamutes, nor are they really related to either one. They are a breed of their own, but not recognized as an "official breed" by the American Kennel Club. They are smaller, faster, and have way less conformity in look. They look like a bunch of mutts to me!
I have had Alaskan malamutes for over 25 years, and I still foster malamutes while a rescue organization called WAMAL looks for a good home for them, but my doggies right now are a Siberian husky named Tara and a malamute/husky mix named Timber. They have never pulled a sled. I'm beginning to think they should learn how. I might be missing out on a lot of fun! CindyK



Cindy, way back when UW was deciding on a mascot they actually had a vote between Husky and Malamute. As a long time Mal owner I wish it had gone the other way
ReplyDeleteGo Jan
Steven on Camano Is. WA.
Hi Steven, It does tend to confuse people. Almost every time I hiked with my mals we were stopped by folks who wanted to meet the huskies. Now I finally have a husky! CindyK
ReplyDeleteMe too! I have two Mals and most everyone says "hey, look....it's a Husky Dog!" One of my pups is from one of the dogs in the photo of Sandi Shrager you included above....Sonny. I am really enjoying the connection with Jan (having helped her at the start and re-start) and the local mushers that I really should get more involved with. Julie R in Seattle
ReplyDelete