Pages

Saturday, March 16, 2013

ON TO NOME...WIsh it was by dog team rather than Alaska Air.

I sit here at the airport, reflecting and anxious to get to Nome.   Bob is doing great!   As I type at my laptop, I look at my hands that have had a few days to recover and they are battered, bruised, full of sores and cuts.  They tell the story all on their own.  

Yesterday, late afternoon, I was reunited with my team.   It was quite an event, matching musher with dog.   One by one I received my dogs and placed them in Ron's dog truck.  I got to 8 and was wondering where the rest were.   They were mixed in with the dropped dogs.  I was missing Otter for quite a while.   When I found him, he did not have a collar on...so he was an "Unidentified dog"   Then I was brought a black dog who had on 26 N  on his collar.  My team tag, but not my dog.  That tag actually belonged to Otter.  So I took off the collar and slipped it onto Otter's neck and hugged all of my dogs for the ordeal that they had gone through while I was not in Unalakleet.  Now they were all safe at home together.  What a relief.  

6 comments:

  1. So glad you have your team back. Timber and Tara both insisted on sleeping on the bed with me last night. I think little Strider might have joined them but he doesn't know how to get up there! Too funny. CindyK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fur balls are wonderful...Enjoy those buggers. Strider seems to be adjusting well, huh? Jan

      Delete
  2. Definitely excited to hear that you have been reunited with your dogs AND that you will be in Nome to welcome Bob as he arrives under the burled arch! Give Bob my congratulations! Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reuniting with the dogs was wonderful. Got them home at about 11pm, then the next morning I took care of all my dogs chores and was off to Anchorage. Sadly my flight returned to Anchorage...Bob beat me to NOme. I didn't get to see him come under the Arch....the live feed was down too...Can you believe it???

      Delete
  3. Oh Jan, I'll bet it was quite a reunion! Thank God you were able to find Otter! What an ordeal you and the dogs have endured! I'll bet they'll be so happy to be home and secure in their own world.

    Can any more go awry? Not to have the live feed is just too, too much! (I had a similar experience once and it's hard to not feel "chumped".)

    Take care. Godspeed. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Nancy. My dogs are all happy and at home. I brought them home and then the next morning after Mary came, the two of us took care of the dogs. I gave her instructions for their care while I would be gone in Nome. Then I left at noon for Nome.

    ReplyDelete