Well, I am 200 short of 1000 booties powdered this evening. I should be able to finish the 200. Was hoping to get another 500 done this evening...but....ran out of powder. I guess that is a curse and a blessing. I get to take a break, but it would have been good to get another case done.
Sunday we are taking a big box of work party "stuff" for our very small army to do. Last year they were wonderful and we would have never made it to the start without their help. This year we have been able to get so much more done on our own, being that we now have power...lights and electricity.
We will take all of our powdered booties with us on Sunday and we will get them back bundled and bagged. Also taking brownie mixes that will be made up and cut into generous size pieces, frozen and food saver sealed.
Linda is going to print up 8 sets of checkpoint labels for us (4 sets for each of us). Then someone will put one on a gallon zip lock bag. We will have sets for snack bags, glove bags, etc. to send out to each check point.
I am going home to speak at a sports medicine conference, sharing my Iditarod experience. It will be a really short visit. I have two friends who have organized a "HOME TOWN MEALS FOR THE TRAIL" Anyone who wants to send a scrumptious meal for me can do so and it will be food saver sealed and I will take a freezer pack back with me to Alaska ! Also snack bags can be made up. If you are interested, I can get you in contact with them for the details! The food and snack bags will have inspirational messages written on them for me to read along the trail. Sounds absolutely wonderful! And will allow me more time on the trails training. And so very appreciated.
Coming up...the arrival of 1.5 tons of meat for the dogs....all of which needs to be cut up and bagged. Did I say this is a constant effort just to stay on top of things to get us to the start...let alone, get our dog team trained!
Well, back to those remaining 200 booties!
Saturday, January 5, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Question: What is the purpose, of powdering booties? And what kind of powder is used?
ReplyDeleteDogs sweat through their paw pads. Powdering the boots with absorbing powder helps absorb the moisture. For Iditarod we use Gold Bond Foot Powder in the blue bottle. It doesn't have any banned ingredients.
DeleteI see the temps are still really warm there. Are you having trouble keeping the dogs cool enough during training?
ReplyDeleteOur temps have been 18 - 28 degrees. If it were 40 - 50's it would be an issue.
ReplyDeleteHi Jan, the 4th graders of St. Matthew School began to explore the Iditarod now that we are back in school.
ReplyDeleteIsabella is excited to be looking at your website and reading your blog. Milkias wants to know how many miles you will run before the Iditarod? Laura wants to know how the dogs are doing? J.T. says thanks for putting our class's picture on your blog. Azul likes the dogs' names and especially Magic. James hopes you have a safe journey. Elizabeth wonders how many dogs you have. What dogs will you take on the Iditarod race? We are looking forward to hearing about your adventures as you prepare for the Iditarod. We will be reading your blog and learning about the Iditarod before the race starts. Cassie hopes you will bring one of your dogs when you come to visit us this spring.
Happy New Year
Mrs. Edwards and 4th Grade
To Mrs. Edwards class...Happy New Year to all of you. Well, Isabella, I hope to be able to keep blogging regularly. As the training season gets on, it becomes more of a challenge for me as there is so much to do in addition to training the dogs. The website will be updated quite a bit so keep checking it out. Milkias...we will run many many many miles before Iditarod. Be sure to remind me when I visit to bring my dog log. Laura, the dogs are doing great. They are all happy and healthy. J.T., you are welcome ! Great Class and I look forward to visiting you all when Iditarod is over. I like the dog's names too, Azul. Whe I run Krak and Jack in lead, I think of crackerjacks...kind of fun(and yummy!) Thank you James for hoping that I have a safe journey. Keep us in your prayers. Elizabeth, right now I have 19 dogs. I don't know which dogs that I will take. I will decide that closer to the start. I am pretty sure that I will be bring a dogs home with me for the school visits. Have a wonderful time learning about Iditarod and sleddogs! I will see you this spring.
ReplyDelete