![]() |
| Grass Foxtail |
A foxtail is a spikelet or spikelet cluster of a grass, that serves to disperse its seeds as a unit. They can become a health hazard for dogs and other domestic animals. Foxtails can become irreversibly lodged. The foxtail can physically enter the body and muscular movements or , the case of nostrils, air flow, can cause the foxtail to continue to burrow through soft tissues and organs, causing infection and physical disruption.
Foxtails that have progressed no further than surface lesions are ordinarily removed and the lesion treated with antiseptic and bandaged if necessary. One a foxtail has passed beneath the skin, dogs are often treated with systemic antibiotics, and the foxtail either allowed to encyst and degrade or be surgically removed. (from Wikipedia)
This fall, I had two dogs who had foxtails that migrated through their soft tissue and came out on the neck and cheek. They were put on antibiotics and watched. It was gross, but there were no complications. If we bring straw into the kennel that has foxtails, we not only put the dogs at risk bedding down in it, but we also risk having an issue with grasses with foxtails growing in our kennel.
FOX TAILS
In my blog I often talk of fox tails... and it is an actual fox tail that we either attach Velcro to or ties of some sort. During very cold, windy weather we give some of our "less hairy" male dogs a bit more protection from the elements, protecting them from frost bite. I will travel down the trail with an equal number of fox tails as I have male dogs. I will also send out replacements in my drop bags just in case I lose one on the trail or if one of the dogs chew it up.

No comments:
Post a Comment