Pages

Monday, January 28, 2013

A GOOD AND NOT SO GOOD DAY...

JANUARY 19TH...

THE GOOD...Friends from church came over this morning and set up a "Tent Garage".  It is 10 x 20 and a wonderful space for us to assemble our drop bags.  It can snow like the dickens and we can work away in a covered space.  Thank you to Pastor Cheryl for the tent.  We are happy to give it a new home.

THE BAD...I took a nasty crash today and got pretty banged up.  Sharp 90 degree turn under a bridge and crashed into the rip-rap boulders.  The hand and elbow will be just fine, but the knee is really messed up.  I literally cried for about a quarter of a mile.  Was so glad to get back to the kennel after a 20 mile run.  Probably went about 15 miles on one leg.   I will be going to urgent care in the morning to have it looked at.  Right now I am on the couch and leg is elevated and frozen peas are on the knee.  Wishing that I had arnica gel to rub into the knee.

Not sitting idle on the couch...bundling booties.

Went to Urgent Care Saturday morning and was put in a knee brace.  Fun...Fun.   I flew to Seattle on the 22nd and the morning of the 23rd I saw my Sports Medicine Group.  When they looked at the X ray...they didn't like what they saw.  A knee exam also indicated a serious knee injury.  My Iditarod was in limbo...

Well, I was off to Winthrop, now sporting a bigger knee brace and was so thankful that I was able to borrow my dad's car for the trip.  Left knee, and an automatic...No Problem.  Kind of ironic that I was giving a presentation to a Sports Medicine Conference.

With an MRI scheduled for Monday morning, I extended my stay to Sunday.  I tried to pamper myself into feeling good with a Hot Rock Massage and a facial.  I felt great, but the knee was still a pain.  Dealt with a roller coaster ride...going from positive, to hopeful, to kind of depressed that this could possibly be Iditarod ending.

This morning I had my MRI, and the the radiologist immediately read it.  I then met with Dr. Matsen and Sarah.  They gave me the good and the bad news...I am not giving up on running the Iditarod, however I have some healing to do with my knee.  Thankfully there are no torn ligaments...a sprained collateral ligament and a nasty bone bruise.

I am ready to head back to Anchorage in the morning, armed with my stretch bands of different colors, and my lists of non weight bearing exercises, pictures and all.

Neighbor, Mary has been helping Bob run dogs.  She is an absolute life saver...the reason that I will be able to run the Iditarod.  Because of her, my dogs are not sitting idle.  Thank you so much Mary!

11 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhh Jan! We are SO sorry to hear about your accident and your knee! Please take care of yourself! The kids and I at Cherry Valley are thinking about you and sending you our best wishes for a speedy recovery!

    Julie,Gracie, Nathan, Sam, and Daphne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you guys for the well wishes. I am doing all I can to help out the healing process...

      Delete
  2. So sorry! Speedy recovery. How will you have to alter your training to accommodate healing time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have already altered my training. I haven't been on a sled since the 19th. I will probably be off the sled for another week...then it will be finding trails that are mostly flat and not a lot of hills and twists and turns. We have our tentative routes already picked out. The main thing is I have to protect that knee from further damage.

      Dogs are running as usual, so their training hasn't been changed, other than they have a new musher on the sled.

      Delete
  3. Sending well wishes. Godspeed on your recovery. Your love for the dream will pull you through this.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Amy. Hard to sit on the sidelines...The kennel is so quiet with everyone gone.

      Delete
  4. I am praying for your recovery, Jan. I found your blog last year through your brother's website. I followed you throughout your race last year...and I will again this year, because I am very hopeful that you will be totally healed by the time you need to race.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much kb, Prayers are wonderful and so appreciated. I too am hopeful that I will be healed for the race. I am doing all that I can to acheive that. Thanks for following us and thanks for your comment! Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you run. I am sorry. do you no miss E from charry vally i am gracie. Me and my sister have bine following you on your blog

    - gracie olson

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Gracie, I am getting better all the time. I have to be careful that I don't re injure my knee, so it is in a brace. That is great that you and your sister are following the blog. I hope that you are having fun in reading. Say Hi to Mrs. E and the rest of the class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kids all say, "HI" back!

      Gracie told us about her post this morning! We are all wishing you a fast recovery. No reinjuries allowed! Today we talked about how many pounds to a ton...that's a lot of meat!

      Take care Jan!

      Julie, Gracie, Connor (he's new and excited about the Iditarod), Sam, Brennan,Ikaika, Nathan.

      Delete