Yesterday I was up early and I headed into Wasilla for some hardware for the sleds and also to get three of Bob's dogs to the Iditarod Headquarters Vet trailer. They had their blood work done and also their EKG's (A requirement for them to run Iditarod).
When I got home Keith was there with a snow blower on the front of a skidder. It was awesome. He was able to remove all of the piled up snow that has slid from our roof multiple times. The last time it made it hard to just get out to my dog lot. So now I have a plowed trail out to my dog lot.
Shortly thereafter, we took off for Crystal Lake (where we truck the dogs to). We headed across Vera Lake and on out to the Willow Swamp. Great run and the dogs did good. I took out a 16 dog team for the first time. It was awesome. It got dark in the swamp on our final time around and at one point my team just took off MACH I . When ever that happens, there is a reason. I scanned the tree line just off the trail and sure enough, there was a huge moose. All was well, he was busy eating and not at all interested in us. Whew !
Today we again trucked the dogs and we headed to the Willow Swamp and this time we went out Coral Hill and out onto the Susitna River and further out to the Yentna River. We saw Karen Ramstead and her handler and then on our way back, we saw Eric Rogers heading out to the Yentna. The dogs were snacked salmon and lamb today. They ate heartily.
Well, we are in the process of trying to make the decision on which dogs that we will select for our Iditarod teams. For me it is very difficult. I have dogs that I just love and I have been running some of them for 4 years. I am thinking that I will cut 3 of my favorite lovable dogs. For me that is very hard. I will run 3 that are harder workers and better pullers. I am hoping that when I get down the trail on Iditarod I will be happy with my selection. Only time will tell.
Well, it is 10pm and Bob has the feed mixed so it is time for me to go and feed dogs. Then it will be to bed and get rested up for a camping trip with the dogs tomorrow. We plan on running about 50 miles and then camping and running 50 back. Stay tuned !
Thursday, February 23, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A positive firsts...running a 16 dog team along w/a boring moose encounter...not a bad day after all. Debi
ReplyDeleteYou know who we're rooting for ... even Miss Lilly (the alpha cat). Trust yourself, you alone knows what's best for you.
ReplyDeleteDebi
There are lots of us out here cheering you on, Jan. Health, safety-to-all and moose-free travels ahead! Linda in Oklahoma
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Linda !
ReplyDeleteI have always been fascinated by the Iditarod and was so disappointed not to get to experience dog mushing off our Alaska cruise last June! That small black lead dog on your first race must have a lot of heart to pair with the much larger one!! I will be following and wishing you all the best- success and fulfillment in your race next week! Julie from Redmond, WA
ReplyDeleteHi Jan,
ReplyDeleteI'm sure that you are spending all your time now preparing for the race! We are gearing up as well to follow you and other mushers when the race begins.
Here is a link to some info and pictures about our All Things Iditarod project we just finished on Friday! http://tinyurl.com/73jh5fw
Go Team Jan!! ☺
Julie, a word of warning...if you ever step foot on a set of runners with a team of incredible dogs, you may may end up moving to Alaska and find yourself totally broke. All kidding aside, it is a wonderful experience. Thank you for your words of encouragement.
ReplyDeleteMrs. Edwards and class...thank you for sharing your projects with me. I am excited that you are all enjoying learning about the Iditarod.