Pages

Sunday, February 19, 2012

13 DAYS UNTIL THE CEREMONIAL START

Well, here it is, 2:04 on Sunday. We got up early and watered and snacked the dogs. Then we loaded up the generator and dropped it off at the shop and then off to church. Pastor Cheryl greeted us with another pair of hand knit wool socks and I might add that they are blessed. After church we visited a while and had Pastor Cheryl's homemade pies and coffee.

We are now at subway in Talkeetna waiting for a call to tell us to come and pick up our generator. I am hopeful that it will work beautifully and not be an issue for us. We have been struggling with it for the past month and it has been a real drag. Used to be that I could start it...now Bob can hardly start it.

There is so much to do to be prepared to head out of that chute on both Saturday and Sunday. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of hometown friends who are coming to support us on our start of the race. I am also excited to meet my Iditarider and people who have sponsored me from afar that will be there for the start.

I have been getting wonderful letters from school children from all over the United States. I am answering each and every letter. Just know that if I don't get a chance to get them all answered before the race, I will answer your letters when I return.

The dogs are doing great and I am sure that they are glad to be back training. I know that I sure am. With the preparations of food drops I was getting really concerned as we jusst weren't able to get them out as much as I wanted to. Due to the moose issues, our running days are really long because we are trucking the dogs. I sure miss running from the kennel but no way do I want to encounter the moose who now are quite used to stomping dog teams...

One of our mushing neighbors, Karen Ramstead just had two teams with an angry moose in it and it was a terrifying experience for her. Made my encounter seem like nothing(and I was terrified by it). They had the moose tangled in the ganglines, dogs balled up and tangled, with the moose running up and down the dogs from both her teams stomping and flailing. Mushers in the snow dodging moose hooves and the result of having to shoot the moose as he was ready for another attack. Sadly Karen had a few dog injuries, but the bright side is that they are all going to be fine.

Angie Taggart will be coming up this next weekend and we will go out double sledding. I have never been out with a tag sled and she will be driving my tag sled at the Ceremonial Start.

The plan for tomorrow is a long run with the dogs and then back to the kennel and we will have a kennel check by Stu Nelson, one of the Iditarod Veterinarians.

2 comments:

  1. Jan ... I can't wait to arrive & learn from you & Bob what it means to be supportive days before the race. I am incredibly proud of how you've trained these last 3 winters & although we have missed you...we support you in all ways. I finished reading Race Across Alaska & am an Iditarod Insider member. This Tuesday, the Woman's Group (lame name, I know) are meeting to view Dogs of the Iditarod & a couple other short videos from the Iditarod Insider site. You haven't asked for advice & I'm going to give it ... enjoy each moment as it comes. These are precious days of exciting once in a life-time of firsts.
    Debi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Debi. Your words of encouragement are great. Love reading your posts. Can't wait til you get here !

    ReplyDelete