
Where to begin...this was a training run to beat all training runs. This was to be a camping trip and was. However we weren't planning on camping and driving our teams through a blizzard/snow storm that dumped a minimum of one and a half to two feet of snow.
I got to test out my wiggys sleeping bag and decided that under these conditions...a larger tarp would be a good thing. (When we awoke we were snow covered.) I climbed in my sleeping bag, snow suit and all...yes, that included my Cabelas Trans Alaska Boots. I was so toasty warm that I slept so soundly I didn't hear the snow machines that went roaring past us on the trail.

Hearing of the snow machine that went flying past us while we were camping(Bob heard and saw them)...dogs curled up in the snow and musher tucked away in a sleeping bag, made me think of safety. I need to find my blinky lights that I used to place on my leaders while running at night. Also I would have a little light show on my sled from a bicycle rear light.
We were back on the trail at 2 AM Sunday morning. On our way out, we had trail markers galore...but on the way back with almost zero visability, the only trail markers were the LSDA markers. The Northern Lights 300, Iron Dog and Jr. Iditarod markers were all there on the way out, but not on the way back. As a result, I was convinced that we were not on the same trail. We finally made the decision to hunker down and camp for a few hours. At daybreak we discussed the trail and came to the conclusion that we were indeed on the right trail.
In a moment, I saw my team balled up behind bobs sled...but my sled was still parked with snow hooks and my wheel dogs. Pierce decided to chew my tow line. Joy fo Joy...that was a first. And shortly there after a second. As I was booting dogs he chewed again...my back was turned for a minute. Needless to say...NEVER AGAIN. Pierce then found himself attached to a cable gang line hooked to my sled.
We were breaking trail for 50 miles. Dogs did great. Not only did they eat well, the also snacked heartily and on our last 10 miles to Deshka in the deepest snow, they were happy with tail wagging and when I stopped they would be barking and jumping and when I gave the the "Ready?..Alright !"
We got to test out our new headlamps and they are fabulous. However in a snow storm, they light up the falling snow so bright that it is kind of blinding. Check out Gemini Lights and Action LED lights online...
When we made it back to the dog truck, we had a heck of a time getting out of the parking lot, 4 wheel drive and all. We loaded up our dogs and loaded up the sleds and headed for home. My friend Kathy was there and she had lasagna waiting for us for dinner. YUM !
Well, when we pulled into our driveway we got about a third of the way and we were stuck. Kathy's rental car was parked in front of us and she had to be back in Anchorage to meet a tour group at 11 am Monday morning. We had a dilema. I called Jo and begged for his help. He had been out snow blowing all day. He came with 2 guys and in 2 hours they had our driveway cleared and the truck moved and they even parked Kathy's car our by the end of the driveway right by the road. All was well.
Two very tired mushers ate dinner, fed their dogs and crashed.
I will be looking for you both on Saturday for the ceremonial start and again on Sunday in Willow for the restart! Best Wishes and Good Luck!
ReplyDeleteGood luck Jan, we are all proud of you. I promise not to put a pretend cast on you right before your race.
ReplyDeleteHave always been intrigued by this race but know so very little. I absolutely love dogs and that is my first attraction. This will be so much fun to read and follow you. Good luck and God bless you and your dogs!
ReplyDeleteThanks Susan...we look forward to meeting you.
ReplyDeleteLyle ! It is great to hear from you. I told Bob about the cast....we sure were crazy in high school...and remember that your grandma helped us. I remember that I thought that my dad was going to cut my leg trying to cut it off. Hope that you are doing well.
Anonymous...I love dogs, snow, mountains, downhill skiing and the outdoors...it is truly an incredible experience to be on a sled with these truly amazing athletes. Thank you for your encouragement.