Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

RACE RECAP

The Subaru is a meat mobile...hauling all of the meat cut up for the Don Bowers for 2 teams.

Hauling cut up lamb for the Don Bowers in our little Jet Sled...


Well, we only made it to the race on time with the help of friends. A big thank you to the Stitt family, Ted and Paula English and Linda and Larry Cline.

I always like to come to a race well rested and with everything in order. I will have to say that this race I was sleep deprived from the start and very little was in order. We were basically scrambling. It was all understandible, but not desireable.

There was quite a bit of pressure on me as this was my final qualifier and I had no choice but to make it. However, anything can happen on a race so it was a relief when I pulled in the final checkpoint. Each and every race has been a learning experience for me and this one was no exception. A great decision to run this race.

Well, I decided to run a 12 dog team and it was a hard decision to make my team selection. I ended up taking Tok, Pepe, Chop, Red, Jimmy, Otter, Chad, Spot, Roan, Riot, Nugget and Jack(lead dogs in italics). There were dogs who remained home. I also ran my new Prairie built sled. It is a really nice sled.

I have always enjoyed the Don Bowers race and this year was no exception. A great group of volunteers and the hospitality of Ray and Shirley from Eagle Quest Lodge.

Well, Friday morning we pulled the dog truck in to parking spot number 2. I was bib number 2, which meant that I was the first dog team out. Number one is always for Don Bower. They always start the time for Don Bower and the first actual dog team to start is in the number two position. I had trouble right out of the chute. I was hooked to a snowmachine and the way they connected the quick release interfered with my dragmat. So right after I took off, I was fussing with that and trying to get it down and my team went off to the right of the trail out of the chute. I was able to "haw" them over and get on the trail so all was well.


The start Picture by Donna Quante
I was ready for a great time. I was traveling familiar trails for the most part. Jim Kirshner and helpers (my friend Buddy)put in a fantastic trail. It was challenging and put your sled driving skills to a test. I was not happy with the fact that I began this race with very little sleep the night before. The temperatures dropped to the - 40's. What happened to the wether forcast ? It was supposed to have been a mild weekend, but not so. .

will continue tomorrow...so tired I am heading to bed...running on a total of 4 - 5 hours of sleep Friday - Sunday. Good night


The dogs at the first 100 mile checkpoint...Jim and Kathy Kirshners

3 comments:

  1. So happy you posted something today. Anxiously waiting for the rest of the story

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can understand the inability to sleep when you are under the pressure of making this qualifying race. Where did you wind up in the standings? How many big names were you running against. Like normal I have a million and one questions. Looking forward to following you during the big race. Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jeff...there was definitely pressure. I was 4th place, with Aliy Zirkle, Ryne Olson and Dallas Seavey taking 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Aliy and Dallas are big names.

    ReplyDelete