Pages

Sunday, January 1, 2012

LIFE IS SO VERY PRECIOUS....

Wednesday when Bob and I were at dinner, I called my father. I usually make phone calls when we are away from the house as our signal is so much better. My dad told me that he was at the hospital with mom and that she was being treated for pneumonia. I figured that all would be fine as they would put her on an antibiotic and perhaps she would have to stay the night. I called my dad back about 20 minutes later and he told me that she had had a heart attack. I couldn't believe it. She seemed fit as a fiddle, other than having Alzheimer's. Then with in the next half hour I was told that she was fighting for her life.

We drove home and with in a half hour I had a flight booked and I was driving to Anchorage. I made the 12:30 am flight and prayed that she would hold on until I arrived. Needless to say, it was a very emotional flight. When I arrived in Seattle I made the phone call...I was told that she died at 2:30. I was two hours too late. Because of training this was the first time that I didn't make it home for Christmas. I called my son and he consoled me. telling me that just a few days earlier when he was with her on Christmas Eve, she was so very happy. The grandkids then took her out to lunch that very Wednesday and they had a very nice time.

My sister from Rhode Island arrived that evening and we joined my brother and planned her memorial service. Her husband and my niece arrived Saturday morning just in time for her memorial service. Other relatives flew in from Florida, Colorado, and others drove down from Canada. It was so beautiful to see so many gathered at the church to celebrate her life. There were friends from when my parents were in high school. It was truly beautiful. Many stood and shared their memories of my mother.

I will miss her dearly. It comforts me knowing that her last days were surround by friends and family and that she was happy. It was so very hard to leave my family and return to Willow. I will run Iditarod in memory of my mom, June Steves.

No comments:

Post a Comment