Well, the dogs got a day off...but interestingly enough, it doesn't work the same for the mushers. Both Bob and I had busy days. Mine started off with watering the dogs and then heading into town. I was on a mission...the fabric store, the feed store, Home Depot, the bank, and 3 Bears.
Well, I made the executive decision...we are going paper...In an effort to simplify our days just a bit and cut down on washing dishes, I bought paper plates, bowls and cups. I also bought a bunch of prepared meals that we will just heat up.
On the way home I stopped by Ted and Paula's and picked up my mukluks that arrived. I will be trying them on and figuring out how I might like them. I am so hoping that they will keep my feet warm...we will see. I will wear them with Neos when it is cold.
We also made the decision to run the Don Bowers Memorial Race rather than the Northern Lights 300. It was a tough decision in the fact that I really wanted to run that race. It all came down to being able to logistically prepare for the race. We would have to have everything ready for the race and take care of vet checks, and attend a musher's meeting all on Wednesday.
We have experienced a number of situations that have made it so very hard to get ahead and prepared for the race this weekend. My mother's death and my trip home to Washington, our moose encounters and impact of trucking our dogs now, the break down of the dog truck and a day spent digging out a backup dog truck.
So, I decided to run a race that we would be better prepared for, giving us another day of training and being able to utilize the day off of training before the race to prepare our drop bags, do our vet checks and then attend the musher's meeting. We will have a friend drive our drop bags to the check points on Friday. This all means less stress, more sleep and a more enjoyable race experience.
The Don Bower's race has been one of my favorites because of the volunteers who put it on. It does mean that I won't have the opportunity this weekend to travel the Iditarod trail and got to the first three check points of the Iditarod. That is a bummer.
Well, it is late and I need to get to bed. We will be running out on the river again tomorrow.
Wednesday, January 25, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Loving your executive decisions ... paper! Don Bowers a second time ... who would have thought before the Cascade Quest that you would have done it once ... Jan you WILL travel the Iditarod trail to all the checkpoints ... who needs the first three? Glad to learn that you & Bob are taking care of yourselves in tangible ways. Debi
ReplyDelete