Pages

Friday, January 20, 2012

A DAY FULL OF EXTREME EMOTIONS...

Well, I have said a few times in earlier posts that this winter has been quite a challenge. I try and keep my sense of humor but at times that is hard. Our morning started out with a great lightness...we had the dogs ready and in the truck and soon we were headed to Big Lake. We had received a call telling us of big winds early in the morning. So we checked weather underground and winds were just 6 mph.

Well, as we headed south, we saw that our early morning warning call was really more reliable than the weather report. Winds were probably 25 mph and that would mean that our trails would all be blown in on the lakes... we opted to head back to the kennel. We both wanted dark chocolate and I reached for the chocolate bar that I had set on the dash of the truck. BIG MISTAKE...It was all melted...Not to worry, I thought. All I need to do is hold it out the window for a minute or two. I rolled down the window just enough to hold the candy bar out and sure enough in about a minute, it was solid enough to eat ! We had a good laugh and enjoyed the dark chocolate and almonds.

Back at the kennel, we hooked up our two teams and off we went. We decided that we would just run short due to temps of -30's and head back down to Big Lake for a long run on Saturday. I led out of the kennel and at one point there was a big moose on the trail but he ran off in the woods. We went around Almond Lake and we headed back. About two and a half miles from the kennel, as I came up a knoll, I could see the eyes of a huge moose in front of me. There was nothing I could do. On a dog team there is no reverse. I stood there frozen, realizing that this was it. It all happened so quickly, but like slow motion. The moose came charging and before I knew it he was in my team stomping. I was terrified and here he came charging right on past me, just inches from me. The dogs are fine and still lined out. I get the heck out of here, not wanting to give that moose another charge at me. Looking back I am horrified at what may be happening to Bob...I knew that he was behind me and probably closer than he wanted to be. He said that when he saw the moose standing on the knoll that he too knew that it was over. And he too was charged.

I was so very grateful that my dogs were amazingly unharmed. As I stood on my sled and waited for any sign of Bob, it was the most awful feeling. Not knowing what was happening. I could hear barking dogs but I could not see any sign of a headlamp. After what seemed like forever, I could see a dog team heading for me. I kept screaming " are you alright" and Bob responded with a yes and a yell for me to get moving.

We still had two miles to go and I knew that on our homestretch our trail could have a moose on it...we had that earlier encounter there. Just after the big hill we come up, I could see two eyes reflecting back to me. Oh my Lord, there was another moose and I wondered if it was going to be a repeat. I stopped the team and the eyes disappeared ahead of me. I continued down the trail slowly, straining to see the form of a moose in the darkness ahead of me. Then the eyes were looking back at me again. Again I stopped and they disappeared only to keep keep looking back a bit further down the trail. I kept looking behind me and Bob was right behind. Praise God that the moose got off the trail and we made it back safely to the kennel.

As soon as I set my hook, Bob came by and I looked at each dog as it passed on by. I was thanking God for keeping both mushers and the dogs safe...terrified, but safe.

After returning the dogs to their houses, I sat shell shocked for a while on the couch. How to get this out of your head. How to go back out on the trail without fear. Questions of "why am I doing this?"

When I got online I read on DeeDee Jonrowe's Facebook that a very dear couple that I have had breakfast with many times at Eagle's Quest Lodge just endoured a moose attack. George who is 82 years old and an Iditarod pilot of 33 or so years was stomped by a moose while he was walking his dogs. His wife Dorthea was beating the moose with a snow shovel. He is in critical care at Providence Hospita. Prayers for both George and Dorthea. So very sad.

5 comments:

  1. Jan, So glad to hear that you and your dogs are ok after the moose experience!

    With the snow last week, we didn't have school. Will be starting the Iditarod unit with the 4th graders this week by building background with books and vocabulary building. Looking forward to reading more about your adventures. Will pray that you and your team stay safe.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy, Thanks for the message. We have been trucking the dogs now and are running what we feel are "safer trails"...ones that the moose have more room on...and trails that we are less likely to run into moose.

      Say Hi to the your students for me.

      Jan

      Delete
    2. and most importantly...thanks for your prayers. Jan

      Delete
  2. Jan, On your brief phone call you mentioned 'moose & blog. Little did I realize that you had even more moose experiences. The news of the couple with the moose experience made the Herald. Thoughts & prayers for him. Blessings of safety to you & Bob ... & of couse the dogs. Debi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Debi, George is home recovering now. A very lucky man and with a courageous wife. You knew that she beat the moose off George with a snow shovel.

    ReplyDelete