If you are from my brother, Rick Steves" blog, welcome to my journey...Iditarod 2013. There are no European style museums or fancy food where we are going. Our accommodations-sleeping on straw on the snow- make Rick's budget hotels seem like palaces. But, we mushers would have it no other way.
The clock is ticking and it is just 9 days until the start. My biggest challenge will be running the race post knee injury, just 6 weeks out. I have been off the runners for 4 weeks resting and rehabbing the knee. Good for the knee, but not for me physically. This race is incredibly demanding and you have to give it your all and more. What amazed me last year on Iditarod 2012 was how I found that "more". We are far more capable than we think we are.
Today will be the 5th day back on a sled. After physical therapy this morning we will gear up for a camping trip with the dogs...probably 100 miles. This gives both the musher and the dog team a chance to practice their camping skills. Efficiency is everything. The more I have my routine down the better. It has to become second nature.
Trying to find the time to have my hair done into cornrow braids. It's either that or I will have unintentional dreadlocks by the finish of the race.
Again, thanks for following my blog and welcome to a ride of a lifetime! Stay tuned for updates on the past few runs and the ones yet to come. Next blog...Moose on the trail!
Thursday, February 21, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Good Luck,,,,,,I'll be watching..
ReplyDeleteGood luck! I've always been interested in this race and thought it would be the adventure of a lifetime. Glad we are able to live vicariously through you! I will look forward to seeing your blog about it. Be safe and enjoy the experience! God Bless.
ReplyDeleteThanks Karla, It is truly an adventure of a lifetime.
DeleteHey Jan...I'm on board and watching and thinking about both you and Bob. The tues night girls send their love and support. Met at Coral's and will meet at Sue's during the race. Maybe we will get on the iditeroder web site and see where you are. We all Love and miss you and had a great laugh about "lori's gift!" Hope Roan does a great job and you all have a wonderful ride. Love ya...Judi
ReplyDeleteThanks Judi! Miss you all too. Send my love to everyone! Get the Insider...I think it is only 30 dollars and you can follow the whole Iditarod and see all the videos, interview, start and restart. It is really quite awesome. You will also be able to see the GPS tracker.
Delete