Pages

Monday, February 11, 2013

WHAT'S BEHIND DOOR NUMBER ONE?

ALL OF OUR MEAT SAFELY IN A FREEZER CONEX AT MAT VALLEY MEATS

How many trips does it take in a Subaru Forester to get all your dog meat and people food to Mat Valley Meats in Wasilla?   Far too many !

This year we had everything in one location for our food drops.  Schedule wise we were doing great.  We had a tent garage to work out of and we had all of our meat here at the kennel, with all of our freezers full.  But that left about 3/4 of a ton of meat buried in the snow.  With the temperatures above freezing at the critical time of meat cutting we had no choice but to haul the meat to town.  Now we would be assembling drops in two different places...which is a logistical nightmare and not to mention, way more time intensive.   If the temperatures hadn't warmed up, we would have had all of our meat cut up and here at the kennel.

I took at least 6 trips with my car filled up to weight capacity to Mat Valley Meats.  I figure that I spent at a minimum, 12 hours of driving and 6 hours time spent loading and unloading.   That was 18 hours of unplanned work just to keep our meat in a frozen state.  That meant that I had 18 fewer hours available to spend on getting our drop bags and other work done.   This was not good.  I am now working well behind my schedule.  And to make matters worse, our meat was scheduled to be cut up on Tuesday,  the day before drops were due.  We were just so grateful that Mat Valley Meats was able to cut up our meat.

I joke and say that I am in training for Iditarod, right now I am training for sleep deprivation.




No comments:

Post a Comment