Started the day off with Physical therapy 8 AM. Then drove to O'Reilly Auto parts to hook up my car to a computer to see why the check engine light went on. Sometimes timing just amuses me. There is no time for anything to go wrong between now and Iditarod. I have all I can do to get us to the start.
Back on the sled after 4 weeks of R & R. Well OK, I guess it wasn't really R & R, but it was 4 weeks off the sled. It was so good to be back out with the dogs. The knee did really well. I am so happy. Thank you for for all your prayers and continued prayers. I have been praying and praising God throughout this whole healing process. My recovery has been remarkable compared to how it was 4 weeks ago.
| 10 dog team going around Almond Lake |
![]() |
| Down on the good knee, Left knee in my brace. |
Bob took this pic of me and the dogs just onto Lucky Shot trail. Arnie and Turbo in lead. I think the dogs were as happy as I was to be back out together on the sled. We ended up doing a 26 mile run. That was good for the first time out. The plan was to run really short, but I knew as soon as I took off out of the kennel and drove down "Suicide Hill" that I was going to be OK. We then altered our route taking us over a road with a good drop onto the trail and all was well. Then we decided to head to Willow Swamp for a few more miles. Knee handled everything.
When you are on sled runners there is so much time to think...thoughts were just racing through my head. What will it be like day after day on the trail....will the knee hold up? Just got to get to Nikolai with my knee and I should be OK....How will it do on the side hilling? Will the swelling get worse? Can we get more of the swelling down in the next two weeks? How will the brace feel on my knee after days of 24/7...when it is tender on the outside of my knee now?
Being around the dogs is what may be more dangerous for my knee than anything...in their excitement they sometimes come crashing into you. After the run when I was back in the Kennel, Chef banged right up against my bad knee. Luckily it was a head on and not from the side.
Elevate and Ice...and sleep.

It is great to see you back on your sled and out with your wonderful dogs. We follow your blog regularly. It is a wonderful way to start our day. We found you from your brother's blog. We are just amazed at all it takes just to get ready for the Iditarod...let alone, all of your training. When we read about your injury our hearts sank. We are so glad to hear of your progress. Just know that you have fans from all over and we are pulling for you Jan. You are in our thoughts and our prayers, both you and your dogs.
ReplyDeleteWhat a smile! I am so glad to see you up and running again. Be careful and don't push it. You have a long way to go. All the way to Nome Jan, ONE MORE TIME! YOU CAN DO IT! We are rooting for you. Jim and Becky, Oregon
ReplyDeleteSo happy to hear you are back on the sled!
ReplyDelete