Pages

Thursday, December 13, 2012

THE PULLED HOOK

Well, had a great training run.  Real work out for the dogs.   The snow was soft.  Red had been showing signs that he could be a leader...taking commands from swing when dogs in lead didn't.  In any event, he is a no nonsense hard working dog.  I am really dealing with a lack of good strong leaders and the thought of developing a leader from within the team is awesome. 

Sooo...on the run back to the kennel, about 4/5 of the way home, I stopped and hooked down the team (mistake) and switched out Arnie with Red.   And away my sled went, a hooks dragging.   It was just within a couple of inches of my grasp and I found myselft running desperately after it, yelling Whoa!   AT one point the sled stopped and the dogs started barking and then off it goes again and then I see it disappear around a turn.  

I am frantic and knowing that Bob is behind me I know that I can hop on his sled and we can chase after the team.  It seemed like it took forever for Bob's team to show up and when he did I hopped on his runners and we were off on a slow slog (due to my added weight to his sled) following sled runners infront of us.

All the while my mind is trying to second guess my team...will they take the needle eye or will they go straight out to the highway.  If they take the needle eye, will they come through the turnaround or go out the back side?  If they come out the needle eye they head home or take a gee out to the highway?  

I hop off Bob's sled and watch him head to the needle eye. I try calling Angie who is at my kennel and her phone is not on.   Then I call Terry and she heads out to the highway to be prepared to catch the team in the remote chance that they take that trail.   I check out the sled tracks on that trail and breath a sigh of relief.  No sled tracks.   At that time I look up and I see a glorious sight... my team and sled heading towards me.  

Bob pulls up and tells me that when he entered the turnaround my dogs were 3/4ths of the way around it and they did a beautiful driverless head on pass with his team.  Red was looking good. 

They were heading home...A happy ending

4 comments:

  1. Jan that was sure another scary moment. Your furry kids give you as much grey hair if not more then your human ones. Never a dull moment. Glad to here that no injuries were had by your team. Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very...usually when a musher loses their team...it is just a short walk to where the snow hook sets. Many are designed to flip over and catch. Both of mine are that kind and they were both in the snow...but the snow was so soft, it just slowed their journey rather than stop them. I am so glad that all was well and no injuries. More often than not, the team will go home and they will be there waiting for you when you finally drag yourself home. Good to hear from you Jeff... : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me right on the edge of my computer chair reading this! So do you think your dogs were having a little fling at your expense?

    Thank you for your comment on my blog here in Traverse City. Yes, Interlochen Music Camp is a half hour from my house. We go there often for concerts year round. You had a wonderful experience there as a camper, I'm sure.

    I have a friend in McGrath on the Iditarod Trail who bakes snickerdoodles for the racers every year. Began following the race since meeting her and found you somehow by chance. I'm enjoying your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, Oh, I do think that the dogs will have fun at your expense...seems like they will take icy turns faster. I am sure that they will communicate with each other and take bets on whether or not they can lose the musher.

      I spent 5 summers at Interlochen, 3 summers as a HS camper and 2 summers on staff. It was an experience of a lifetime and so awesome to have the opportunity to play with such caliber of musicians. I almost went to the academy...but was too in love with our mountains and skiing. Wonderful memories ! By the way, your blog looks absolutely scrumptious!


      Glad you found me and are enjoying my adventures...I am a bit behind on blogging and hope to catch up today.

      Delete