Pages

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Surprise, Surprise

Took out a ten dog team...suicide run going through the swamp...the trail was hard packed and icy...and the dogs seem to know that they can give you a ride of your life.     Made our way to better trails and had a terrific run.  We were able to really boost our miles which was good. 

On our way back it started to snow.  Finally!  Yeah!  In any event, it was easier to travel with our headlamps off.  A great time on the trail...you could see the shadows of the dogs in front of you...the contrast of the dogs against the white snow.  Kind of fun taking all the turns, driving the sled by feel.  Lots of signs of moose, but thankfully no sightings.  I have only seen one moose this year...and he was crossing the Parks Highway quite a ways away from us. 

Before we left for our run, I had put one of my sled dogs in a dog crate in the house.   We always barricade the bedroom entrance so that Buzz, the black lab doesn't sleep on the bed.  Well, when I pulled into the kennel and I looked at the house, I could see eyes reflecting back at me.   Hmm...I had a feeling that it wasn't Buzz...as he never stares out the window at me when I bring a team in.  He just lays on the couch until we open the door.   I walked towards the house and sure enough, it wasn't Buzz. 

Oh my, I had no idea what I would find in the house...two dogs home alone...and one a sled dog.  Well, I peaked in the door and there was dog hair all over the place...they both are black dogs and Buzz is really shedding.   I had a box of fox tails and they were scattered all over the house along with garbage from the bathroom and kitchen and laundry.  It looked like they had the time of their life.  I am so glad that the bedroom was barricaded...if they could have gotten in they would have been jumping on the bed and having a pillow fight. 

I reality they were pretty good.   They only helped themselves to a little bit of kibble and didn't get into the buckets of beef that were thawing for their evening meal.   I gathered up the fox tails and they were still all intact.  Thankfully because they are hard to find.   I did notice that one was in the dog crate. 

3 comments:

  1. I can relate. When the cats are gone the mice will play. When I go somewhere for to long my new boy Kamik loves to get into things. Couple of days ago I helped catching a feral malamute that Cindy is fostering. When I came home he had gotten into all kinds of stuff. Couple of my blankets were on the floor. Yac tracks were in a plastic bag and he had gotten into it. I have only found one of those so far. Had just put it out to so that I would have them for winter hikes. Can totally relate to what you came home to.Our furry kids can get into just about as much trouble if not more as human kids. Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was quite a saga...strider. Cindy should write a book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the image of the dogs jumping on the bed and having a pillow fight! Gotta love them - how they enrich our lives!

    ReplyDelete