In any event, we didn't make our leave time...didn't surprise me. But soon were on the trail. Started out so nice...dogs moving down the trail all happy, musher too. I love the beauty out there and the peace and quiet.
Met a number of snowmachiners on the trail and as is my usual experience, they were more than courteous. They were very cautious and gave the teams the trail. A number of them stopped their machines, shut them down and watched our approach with cameras out. Lots of smiles and waves as we went by. One comment from a guy when my team came along side their stopped machines was "wow, you guys just made my day". Further down the trail our experience with a group of about 18 snowmachiners was not so nice. Quite a rowdy group and no consideration for the dogs. About 8 or 9 of them came screaming by my team, within feet of the dogs. Glad when they all went past us.
Shortly afterwards, we saw Justin heading our way. He yelled as he passed by that his team was attacked by hogs. HOGS??? On the trail??? As we went a short distance forward I had visions of wild boars and their teeth. We ended up turning our teams. I didn't want to risk my dogs. So, change of plans...bye bye juicy hamburger...hello cold sandwich that was in the sled.
We ended up heading for Cow Lake and we camped the dogs aside of the trail. All was fine until the fireworks started. Dogs got freaked out. They were all bedded down and peaceful and then we had tangles and dogs trying to get away. One of Bob's dogs chewed tug lines into tiny pieces. Magic, my little leader was the most freaked out. Fight or flight??? She was definitely into flight mode. Somehow in all of her twisting she managed to pop her snap and she took off like a bullet. Breaks my heart to think of her out there...with most likely 3 more days of fireworks going off. Hoping that she finds her way home. On Cow lake and Redshirt lake, the trails were just obliterated from all of the snow mobiles.
We got back to the kennel at 4 am and sadly there was no sign of Magic. When I woke up at nine, I went back out to her dog house and looked in...empty. I really dislike fireworks...so many dogs are terrified of them.
Within minutes of me losing her, I called Angie and she called and had her posted on the Willow Dog Musher's website. We are hoping that she will be spotted soon and reunited with her buddies. She will be easy to spot, in a green harness and wearing a florescent orange neck line.


Jan, Hope you had a great Christmas! My family met in Vail, Colorado, where daughter 2 lives. We rented a Condo and enjoyed the magic of a white Christmas. All daughters, husband and Grandma together with dogs, Baxter, Beamer & Bear :-)
ReplyDeleteSo sorry about Magic. I hope you have found her by now. Fireworks really do scare the dogs! Your camping trip sounds like a real adventure!
I am hoping to come to Anchorage for the Iditarod Teacher Winter conference! I have applied for some grant money as well as professional development funds. Really excited about this trip as it will really give me a chance to learn more about how to use the Iditarod in our school. Hope we can connect - but it is the week before the race begins!
Happy New Year!
Nancy...we will have to connect...and the wonderful news is that we just got home from picking Magic up. Glad that you had a wonderful Christmas. Ours was nice, but I missed my family.
DeleteJan I hope Magic finds her way home soon. Me and the monster dogs are sending positive vibes for her safe return. Jeff
ReplyDeleteJeff and the monster dogs...your positive vibes made it all the way to Willow. We just got home from picking up Magic ! I will write a post with the details. Jan
ReplyDelete