
Well today was awesome. Each day starts out the same....drag the body out of bed, often earlier than it wants to. Sip some green tea and then go and water the dogs. Scoop the kennel. Buzz....the "house dog"...goes into stealth mode and sneaks around the perimeter of the kennel. When I get to a run and there is nothing to scoop...hmmm, I wonder if Buzz got there first. I also with catch him behind me. He has a way about blending in. He is probably in seventh heaven with a second team on the premises.
Then it is back to the house to have breakfast and figure out the two line ups. Today I will have to deal with the protests coming from Amber, as she will be one of 4 dogs having a day off. As I am harnessing dogs and hooking them up she gets pretty verbal with me. None of the dogs like to be left out.
We each run an 8 dog team. We met Lev out in the swamp and passed on a very narrow trail. Good passes...way to go team! On my second run, I had Stovepipe and Carmack in lead. We cut a sharp turn and I dumped the sled and those guys were ruthless. Like toddlers with deaf ears...I don't know why I even bothered hollering Whoa ! I have never plowed the snow before with my face buried in it. Fun experience ! As I was going through the snow fully buried, I thought of snowboarders who suffocate when they do face plants. I was glad when I got my face out of the snowbank. I had one hand(left) on the sled, gripping with all my might, not wanting to risk injury to my right shoulder. I thought those guys were going to drag me all the way to the end of the trail.
Well, all was well, I up righted the sled and and it was in full motion the minute it started to raise up. There was no "ready?"..."Alright !" It was just full steam ahead.
When we were back out in the swamp, heading back, the one word that describe it all was "GLORIOUS". The view was spectacular, a full moon and in the opposite sky, a beautiful sunset. I only wish that I could share the views that I experience. The pictures that I take most often don't even come close to capturing the beauty.
Glorious day.......
Then it is back to the house to have breakfast and figure out the two line ups. Today I will have to deal with the protests coming from Amber, as she will be one of 4 dogs having a day off. As I am harnessing dogs and hooking them up she gets pretty verbal with me. None of the dogs like to be left out.
We each run an 8 dog team. We met Lev out in the swamp and passed on a very narrow trail. Good passes...way to go team! On my second run, I had Stovepipe and Carmack in lead. We cut a sharp turn and I dumped the sled and those guys were ruthless. Like toddlers with deaf ears...I don't know why I even bothered hollering Whoa ! I have never plowed the snow before with my face buried in it. Fun experience ! As I was going through the snow fully buried, I thought of snowboarders who suffocate when they do face plants. I was glad when I got my face out of the snowbank. I had one hand(left) on the sled, gripping with all my might, not wanting to risk injury to my right shoulder. I thought those guys were going to drag me all the way to the end of the trail.
Well, all was well, I up righted the sled and and it was in full motion the minute it started to raise up. There was no "ready?"..."Alright !" It was just full steam ahead.
When we were back out in the swamp, heading back, the one word that describe it all was "GLORIOUS". The view was spectacular, a full moon and in the opposite sky, a beautiful sunset. I only wish that I could share the views that I experience. The pictures that I take most often don't even come close to capturing the beauty.
Glorious day.......
No comments:
Post a Comment