Well, this morning started off with watering dogs. Then we were greeted by Gary and his snow plow. Yeah! It took him about an hour to get us plowed out. I started up my car and then we moved it so that he could remove all the snow that was around it. The truck had to stay in place as it wouldn't start. It is a diesel and with the temps near zero it wouldn't turn over.
After breakfast, Bob spent a couple hours working on the trail cutting more downed trees and clearing brush. He also used the groomer on the trail. When it was time to head out for our first run, I followed Bob out of the kennel. I took out an 8 dog team. When traveling north we saw a beautiful view of Denali. Then on the return we saw a beautiful view of Hatcher Pass in the Talkeetna Mountains. This run was really our first run on a sled. Yesterday's run was all of a mile, if that. Blue skies and ccccold. Gorgeous !
This is all new trail for me. It will take a while for me to really figure out this new trail system. In a way, I miss my old trails. I had my favorite runs and I was just in my glory, having the time of my life. Don't get me wrong, I had a fabulous time on the runners today, but I have to stay in visual sight of Bob so that I know where I am going. A whole new world of trails are out there and it will be great to explore them.
When it was time to take out the second team, we settled on a shorter run. Daylight would run out on us if we took the earlier run. The second run, even thought short and sweet, was a good one. However, we had no idea what surprise would be in store for us on our return. Thankfully we were close to the kennel. Three trees had fallen across our trail. Bob was able to tie off his sled to a tree to secure his team. I was in a situation where there was nothing for me to tie off to. I tried to set two snow hooks, but they wouldn't hold. So, I stood on my brake while Bob walked back to the kennel. He returned with the snowmachine and a chain saw.
By now it was getting dark and we traveled back to the kennel. I put my dogs back to their houses and then we mixed feed. Fed the dogs, fed the mushers...yum Salmon and chores to finish. Reflection on a Fabulous day. And looking forward to tomorrow.
Hi Jan & Bob, enjoying your blog. Keep the updates coming. Sent the link to a few others.
ReplyDeletethanks for the feed back...glad that you enjoy it. We are having a great time training ! Bob is out on the snowgo right now making a quick check on the trail and we will each hook a team up and get a run in before dark. Jan
ReplyDelete