Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2011

WHAT A DRAG....

Well, today I went up towards Talkeetna and joined Terrance, Joe, Buddy and Bill for a run down the intertie. I pulled into Terrance's driveway and parked the truck. Looking over my starting position, I kind of thought that it would be rather interesting...but I had no idea the extent of it.

I got the dogs ready and hooked up the sled. I had kind of a sharp u turn driveway to get out to the road. Well, my team was stretched out to the curve in the u turn...as I came around the turn I realized that my leaders did not make the turn, but rather went straight along the house and around a parked van. Joy for Joy. As I came around the turn I dumped the sled and drug alongside Terrance's team and up and over his snow hook. There was no stopping or setting a hook in the driveway. Made for more fun. I went and got my leaders and turned them, bringing them alongside the van and then lined them out facing the road. Bill held my leaders and Buddy stood on my brake. We took off and went out onto the road....ended up dragging down the road....and down the road and down the road. My snow hooks were all messed up from the mess in the driveway. I couldn't have set them in the road anyway. The dogs were on fire and had no intention of stopping. They were in travel mode. Normally when you dump the sled they will stop, but on the road, the going was fast and easy. I kept trying to get over to the side of the road, but even so, it didn't do me any good, as I couldn't get a hook in as it was tangled at the front of my sled. I did my first drag across a set of railroad tracks. To make matters worse, I was wearing my brand new omni heat jacket and I was skidding on my right elbow. I was imagining the elbow of my jacket shredding.

Finally we came to a stop and I was in the drift with my sled so I was no longer dragging down the road. I realized that my voice was a bit horse from screaming WHOA !

Finally I saw Terrance and his team heading down the road towards me with Buddy and Bill along too. Buddy pulled up behind my sled and he hooked me off to his smowmachine. Then I was able to upright my sled and straighten out my snow hooks. I followed Terrance to the intertie and then it was smooth sailing. It was a great run. Trails were beautiful. I always enjoy running on new trails. The dogs had to work hard and the temps were warm so we rested them regularly.

On the way back before we hit the road, I stopped and undid 4 tugs on 4 dogs (it de-powers the dogs). I had concerns of the dogs going too fast down the road and I wanted to be in control.
Dogs did great traveling the road...and I enjoyed the return trip standing on the runners rather than dragging down the road. When we got to Terrance's, the team took a nice turn into the driveway and all was uneventful. A nice ending to a great run.

I guess I was over due for a good drag. Now I have it behind me....

PS the jacket is fine....the elbow is sore and bruised.

No comments:

Post a Comment