Pages

Thursday, February 3, 2011

45 MINUTES SLEEP AND BACK AT IT....




THE DROP BAG SAGA....Well, Buddy and I worked on drop bags until 3 am. I felt kind of bad to have kept Buddy up till the wee hours, but his help was so appreciated. Drove back to Willow with the truck loaded with poly bags of kibble, grocery bags tied with chopped meat and meat snacks in gallon zip lock bags. All of the orange drop bags were labeled. The only ones stuffed and zip tied were the one that were mine, full of personal stuff and my food.

Upon arriving home, I backed the truck up to the blue house and made the decision that it would be best if I laid down for a bit. So I very quietly snuck into the house, trying to not wake up Ted and Paula, but of course Pod, one of the house dogs had to announce my arrival. By that time it was about 4:30 am. I was worried that if I fell asleep, I wouldn't wake up so I set 6 alarms. Starting at 5:30 multiple alarms started going off. It was like a three ring circus for me in my groggy state to shut the alarms off. I had two cell phones and an alarm clock and it seemed as thought they were all going off at the same time.

I went out to the blue house and started bagging salmon snacks that were already cut up and in the freezer. Then I used the chop saw and cut lamb and chicken into small chunks and filled zip lock bags. I tossed all of that into the back of the truck. I filled a gallon zip lock bag with solidified fat and took it to the house and melted it. I poured it into two plastic drink bottles. I would use that on the trail if our temps were really down to add more calories for the dogs.
I grabbed a handful of zip ties and was on the road for Anchorage by 7am as planned. I made good time driving, but right before Anchorage the traffic was backed up. I made good use of my drive time and Ricky was an incridible help. We were on the phone most of the drive, with him googling businesses and getting phone numbers for me. He even set up an appointment with my Chiropractor and also one for a massage. Thank you Ricky. That enabled me to get on the road earlier.
Upon arriving at Airland transport, I found an out of the way place to start assembling my bags. I parked the truck, dropped the tailgate and I laid out each drop bag in order. Then I placed a bag of kibble, a bag of chopped meat and two snacks on each one. I then checked my list and added an extra meal to designated drops. Then I strategically placed bottles of emu oil and the fat bottles. Lastly I placed packages of precooked bacon that was food saver sealed and in zip lock bags through out the bags. I had forgotten to put them in my personal drop bags and they would be so nice to have on the trail.
I started loading the bags and getting them ready to zip tie shut. I noticed two truckers there in the parking lot watching my process. I was feeling very pressured and under the gun to get this done by 10:00. I decided to run over to them and ask if they might be able to help me. They exchanged looks at each other and shrugged their shoulders and said yes. So, as I bagged up each bag, they zip tied them shut. It make the process go much quicker and I am so thankful for their help.

They tossed each of the bags into the back of the truck and I ran off to help with the straw bagging. We unloaded bales of straw from large trailers, bagged and zip tied them. Then we placed 8 on a pallet and tagged each bag for their destination. Then we Then we wrapped each pallet with that stretchy plastic that comes in large rolls.


Next came the food drops. Each musher backed up their truck to the loading dock and their bags were unloaded and tagged. Then they were placed on a pallet for the drop destination. Same process was done to the drop bags. They were sealed in plastic wrap.
It was such a good feeling to have this done. I have however thought of all of what I wish that I would have put in my bags. Over all I did well and will be OK. I will make a list now of what I will need on the trail.
On the drive home I had a Dr's. appointment, a chiropractic adjustment and a massage. I then picked up barn yard animal food for Paula's animals. Then I called Buddy and asked if I could come by tomorrow to clean up his garage. I was so in need of sleep. Buddy's garage looks as though a tornado has gone through it. I did follow half of my orders and I took an Epsom salts soak in a hot tub. Heavenly...but I didn't do my stretches.

1 comment:

  1. It is unbelievable the amount of food necessary to run the dogs. That sure looks like a lot of work. Know wonder they like to run so much. They get rewarded with lots of great food. They eat better then we do. Jeff

    ReplyDelete