Pages

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

SNOW !

Got up early this morning and it was snowing. This is really good news as it will mean that my swamp access will be good. I haven't run from the dog lot since before the new year. I have been trucking the dogs because of the condition of the trails on the swamp. Right now the swamp trails are beautiful and my access is awful. Go figure !

Well, I got the snowmachine out and groomed the inbound trail to the dog lot. Then I started working on the chute out of the dog lot. I got the snow machine stuck. Soooo...Ted is getting up and ready to come and drag out the snowmachine with the truck.

Once I get the chute open and groomed, I will take out an 8 dog team. (The dogs that I didn't run yesterday. ) I still have to get my sled off the dog truck and all my gear out of the truck. What will be a 2 hour run will have taken 6 hours !

Well, I never did get a team out...Ted used the truck to pull out the machine...and I promptly got it stuck on the second run through. I then decided that I should dig out a bit more snow before I tried again. Then I was successful at running the drag through and through and through the chute. As I was heading to the blue house Ted hollered at me and asked if I wanted to go for breakfast. I had a hearty breakfast and then decided that I would go to town.

I got a lot done. Went to the lock smith and got a copy of the snowmachine key made. I picked up runner plastic for my new sled that is being built. (Can't wait !) Delivered it to Bernie the sled builder. Picked up snaps for my picket line that Don is making for me. I stopped by All Seasons...clothing store. Nearly went broke ! Thanks Buddy !

Actually, I got a discount and the parka that I got was on sale. I ended up buying a men's XXL. Lol ! You have to understand that to stay warm in -50, the key is layering. I can actually put my mushing anorak under this parka. So I have a lot of versatility with this parka. (and it matches my sled !) I bought a omni heat powder puff jacket. It is like down, but synthetic. It is really warm. That will be my warmth layer. I also found a very comfy pair of polar fleece pants that will fit over my smart wool base layer, my polar stretch layer, and my army level 2 layer. I have a wind stop layer from REI. I will have to see if all of the layers will fit over each other. Tonight's homework.

I have never experienced - 50, but I think that I will be OK with all of my layers. Now I just need to get a pair of bibs or pants that are ballistic and waterproof. (and that fit over all of my layers...) I am concerned with my footwear, but am going to take additional toe warmers and hope for the best. Oh, I also found a neat knit hat. I am expecting my hair to be quite frightful after days on the trail....so I think that I most likely will resort to wearing a hat !

2 comments:

  1. Jan, we missed you at "group" last night. Will look forward to skyping soon. It's fun to watch your progress and witness your struggles and joys. Thanks for letting us all be a part of this journey. You'll have lots of life lessons to share with us this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MOre than you know ! I love to get comments from you guys ! I was bummed that I missed group. I was looking forward to being with friends ! I miss you guys. I kind of feel so out of touch and you guys know what is going on with me but I don't have a clue with all that you guys are doing. I can't wait to get together and show slides and share the experience.

    ReplyDelete