Well, this morning started out as usual...watered the dogs and then we had half of our breakfast at the table and the other half underway in the car. We headed south from Willow to Pittman to pick up the truck from "The Need for Speed" doctor. Bob says the truck drives like a brand new truck.
Then we buzzed over to 3 Bears and picked up zip lock bags and food saver bags...hmmm....what on earth for??? Could it be for Iditarod drop bags? You got it !
We are set to start powdering and bagging booties, and preparing our meals for the trail. Time is going to fly and we really want to have it all done well ahead of time.
Stopped by the post office and our headlamps arrived and also Bob's cooker. When we were at 3 Bears, we ran into Gary, our snow plower and after we arrived back home, he came over and plowed us out. We then each hooked up a 12 dog team and armed with our new headlamps, we hit the trail. Shortly after take off, it started snowing. It snowed and snowed and snowed.
The snow was coming down such that we were breaking trail almost the entire run. I had visibility of my wheel dogs. They are the dogs that are right in front of the sled. It was actually easier to see with my headlamp off. I ran the first half of the run with it turned off. For most of the run, I couldn't see my leaders. Dogs did great.
When we got back to the kennel, I snacked the dogs and watered them. Then I put them back to their houses. I put away harnesses and tow line and mixed feed. Fed the dogs and then went and dug out each of the dog houses. I had to clear the snow build up away from the doors and then shovel out in front of the doors. I also picked up all of the dog bowls. During that time it snowed an additional 6 inches of snow. It is still coming down. Ugh ! ! !
Tuesday, December 20, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment