Well, I was up early this morning and decided to work at my desk...illuminated by my headlamp that I run with at night. Can't complain about not enough light. Today's forecast calls for a high of 25 degrees and a low of 13 degrees, with light snow showers. Sunrise is set for 10:03 am and sunset will be at 3:40 pm.
Yesterday we each took out a 10 dog team and it snowed most of the run. Bob led out of the kennel and I led back to the kennel. Dogs are doing great. On the way in I put Jimmy up in lead for the first time this season. He is the dog that really came through for me last year on Serum run, on our last day on the Yukon River. He was a swing dog and I hadn't run him in lead and he showed me that he was a leader. Jimmy did great in lead yesterday as well.
When we were out on the Tank trail, we encountered moose holes. Thankfully no dogs were injured by stepping the holes. I had two head on passes with teams and they went well. We have a couple of road crossings that we do and also we will run right out of our driveway and down the road to a trail access. I am hoping that we will get some "dog teams on road" and "dog team crossing" signs put up.
While out on the trails, my mind will wander all over, just as the trails do. I can only imagine my life if I had come to Alaska sooner...I wonder if my kids would have been mushers instead of skiers...I can easily picture my youngest, Kelsey driving a team.
Even though I waited til I was 50, I will never regret trading skis for sled runners ! It has opened a whole new world for me.
Thursday, December 8, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment