Pages

Friday, February 28, 2014

MANDATORY MUSHERS MEETING, IDITARIDER'S LUNCH AND IDITAROD BANQUET

What a full day !   It started this morning at 5 am getting up.  Since my car was in the shop in Anchorage, I got a ride to the Mushers Meeting with Lev, my across the highway neighbor.  When we got there, we picked up our trail mail and got it all signed and then signed a classroom  letter.

We listened to Dr Stu Nelson, the Iditarod Veterinarian talk about dog issues on the trail.  We also heard about the trail conditions and saw pictures of the trail.  Hard and fast...like cement.  Glad that I have a helmet.  I am not going to think too much about the trail, or I will end up worrying too much.   I am going to just deal with it as it comes...and pray.  I did pick up elbow, knee pads and shoulder pads.

We broke for lunch and I reunited with my daughter who I haven't seen for 2 years.   What a wonderful hug.   We ate together at the Iditarider lunch.  So good to see her and just be with her.  She is excited and so I am.   After the lunch I went and picked up my Subaru.   So now I have my wheels back.  Whew !

Then it was off to buy an iPod.  ouch!   wasn't expecting another big expense...but I will not be carrying my cell phone.   I was hoping that I could take out the sim card and use it for the alarm clock.  Having it with me sim card or not would get me disqualified.  Soooo....No iphone.  The alarm on the iPhone is absolutely awesomely obnoxious and it wakes me up no matter how tired I am.   On Iditarod 2012, I slept through my alarms 3 times.   There is no way that I want to sleep through any alarms.  

Soo....the iPad is not a phone.  And it has the very same alarm as my iPhone.  I will also bring a battery powered back up alarm clock.

Then it was off to the Banquet.  It was a great time.   Meeting old friends, connecting with my friends from Washington here to cheer me on and send me on my way.   We had a nice dinner and a great social time.  Then it was time for the start.   I drew number 40.   I was a bit disappointed, as I really wanted a single digit number and was hoping for at least lower than 25.  Oh, well, it is what it is.
Introducing Mini Ben and his Iditarod Adventure

Modeling my helmet
Thank you Larry Lubonty

Two hour drive home...made up the couch for Nicolina and she is out.  She traveled here from Vienna so she had a very long day.  I am off to bed and will be getting up early for a work party. The gang will be here at 8:30 and we will have a fun morning together.

Wonderful Day!

14 comments:

  1. The kids and teachers at Cherry Valley in WA wish you a wonderful time and a safe run to Nome. We're rooting for you!!! Hugs to you and the dogs!! Happy trails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much ! It is wonderful to have you rooting for me. Have fun learning about the Iditarod and Happy Trails to you!

      Delete
  2. Hi I love your blogs and really looking forward to monitoring the race from the sunshine state. Good luck to you and your team and thanks for taking Mini Ben, I look forward to the pictures on this adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. More pics of Ben to be posted soon. He is going to have a ride of his life ! ! !

      Delete
  3. Our love and many prayers will be with you as you set out on your amazing journey. God bless and keep you and the pups in the palm of His hand from Willow to Nome. Love, Cec and The Mama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Cecile and Helen. I miss you both very much. Your prayers are appreciated and a comfort. Willow to Nome !

      Delete
  4. Good luck Jan! Love and prayers from Colorado!! Go get 'em!! I know you have a lot going on when on the trail but I want to just thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking on that extra little passenger for Beads Of Courage!! It means so very much to the organization and to the kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lezlie, I am honored to carry the Beads of Courage with me on the trail. I will give it my all to get them all the way to NOME !

      Delete
  5. Safe journey and have an amazing trip and reunion with ur daughter! Book group will be checking in on your status Monday night and we are all watching you from home as well....Judi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Judi...means a lot...miss you guys!

      Delete
  6. Jan, I have such great memories of being in Anchorage last year and seeing you and the dogs getting ready for the start! Wish I could have been there again this year. Sending you many good wishes and holding you in my thoughts and prayers as you begin this third Iditarod. The children are so excited to know which number you will wear (we had no school today so they have to wait until Monday or go online at home - which some, I know, will do!).

    Be safe, have fun, hug those dogs for me - especially my friend Circus - and mush on!

    Take care, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy, Thanks! I too have great memories of you in Anchorage last year. Thanks for the good wishes, thoughts and prayers. Jan

      Delete
  7. Good Luck Jan! We'll be praying for you and the dogs on the trail!

    Jodie Matte - Essex, ON Canada

    ReplyDelete