Pages

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

EVENING RUNS...AND A MOOSE...OH MY ! ! !

Well, I took out a team for a very short run.  Just wanting to get them out on the trail.  All was great and I am loving my Prairiebilt sitdown sled.  It drives like a dream.  I knew it would.  

Got back and hooked up my second group.  They were raring to go and away we went.   As I am in my glory driving my sled, suddenly I realize the glow reflecting back at me ahead in the trail is not a good thing.  There were two moose on the trail.

The cow(mother) took some steps towards me and lowered her head and we had a stare down.   My heart sank...and it was a flashback to 2012 when my team was stomped by a moose on a training run.  All the while this moose was staring me down and not making a move off the trail, my dogs were lunging and jumping and barking.  Seemed like they were egging the moose on.

I am frozen, wanting to turn my team and get out of there...but not wanting to turn my team on a narrow trail and have a tangle.  Also with my back to the moose...well that wouldn't be a good feeling.   So I just stood on my sled and prayed that the moose would head on down the trail.

The moose did turn and go around the corner...but I had no idea how far it had gone.   I decided to turn my team and head for the barn...(the kennel).   So, we ended our run very short.  Bummer.  But rather safe than sorry.   I have no desire to encounter a moose on the trail and especially 4 days before the Iditarod.  I have worked far too hard.  

No comments:

Post a Comment