Pages

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

MINUS 30 SOMETHING

The past two days have been in the minus 30's.  Very cold.  Yesterday I took off for my first day on the sled.  The sled was newly equipped with a guard for my snow hooks, so they wouldn't chew up my sled bag.  Well, the caution that I was given was that you didn't want to stop the first 4 miles along the parks with a hot team...and have to rely on a snow hook holding your team.

By the time I had gone 2 miles, my snow hooks were taking turns flying off my sled(over ten times).  They often would land on the sled bag near the brush bow (front of sled) and they would be out of my reach.  I would have to set one hook and cautiously go up to the front of my sled and grab the out of reach hook.  Back on the runners, I would take off again, only to have to repeat the process.   Well, this was not the way to enjoy the first run on the sled for the season.  

I turned my team and headed back to the barn.  The 4 wheeler had been put away for the winter.   All the rigging was removed and my 16 dog gang line has been changed for an 8 dog set up.  I did try and start the 4 wheeler, but it was too cold and it wouldn't start.  So, it was dogs chores and getting caught up on paperwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment