Pages

Thursday, September 6, 2012

The Nitty Gritty

For the past 4 years I have relied on renting out rooms in my house so that I can head north and train.  One of my housemates just told me last week that he was giving notice and moving out of state.  I couldn't believe it and was pretty devastated to hear this news so late and right before I am getting ready to leave for Alaska.  I am quite picky about who I rent rooms to and I have to be, as I am gone for 7 months. 

I had the possibility of a previous housemate coming back, but got the call first thing this morning that he needed to live closer to his mother.   I can totally understand.   So...things were not looking too good on the home front. 

This morning I gave Bob a call and told him that I may have to pull out of Iditarod...that it really could be a reality...that we had to be prepared.   The harsh reality was that I could not head north with only one housemate.

Positive attitude...keep a positive attitude and an open mind.  If it is meant to be that I run Iditarod things will work out.  I just have to have faith and trust.  In the past I have found wonderful housemates that just clicked.  However, time is the issue.   Well, I had just replaced my ads and this afternoon I met with a prospective renter at Starbucks and then showed him the MIL unit.  Following my gut feeling I offered to show him the master bedroom w/private bath and I now have it rented.   He was an answer to prayers. 

I now have two great housemates and will hope to rent the Mother In Law unit.  That is the easiest one to rent so things have just taken a turn for the good !  

The other wonderful news for me this evening was a donation on the website !   Thank you so much Amy Young !   Amy is from Georgia and she found me on the Iditarod website and "Joined the Team" last year.  I got to meet her at the Ceremonial Start and she will return again this Iditarod 2013 and be one of our "Handlers" for the start. 

So, this evening I called Bob and told him that things were really looking up !

Sponsorship is so important and so very appreciated by me and the dogs.  It is the only way that we can run Iditarod.   You get us down the trail.   You make this possible.   Thank you so very much !

2 comments:

  1. Jan, so glad to help and God does answer prayers. Stay positive. Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes you just have to take a breath, regroup, and believe. I have so many blessings in my life and for that I am so grateful.

    I remember a time that I was really bummed. I had just seen a shoulder specialist and she told me that I had two torn rotator cuffs and I was looking at surgery. I was walking out of the office and down some stairs. Then I noticed a person in front of me and the closer I looked, I realized that he had no arms at all. Kind of is a wake up call and you realize things aren't so bad.

    ReplyDelete