| AWESOME 4TH GRADE CLASS ! |
We talked about Dreams and I shared my dream. The message that I gave them was to believe in themselves and with determination, planning, hard work, and not giving up that they too could realize their dreams. It was a very interactive hour with the students eagerly answering questions and listening intently to my stories. When I showed the picture of me sitting on top of a ton of dog food, I asked the kids how long they thought that pile of dog food would last. I had answers of 2 years, 1 year, and then one answered one week. I responded that she was the closest. The answer was that it would last about a month.
They also got to see what 1500 booties looked like. Then the pictures showed all the work that we have to do to support our training a dog team for the Iditarod. I also had pictures that showed the love between dog and musher. Of course there were many of these. I enjoyed the many oohs and awes...I shared with them how important it is for me to take care of my dogs. They related what it took to take care of one or two dogs at home with me caring for 20. They got a realistic view of the huge responsibility it was to care for and train a team.
Of course there had to be a few pics of what it looks like in temps of -50. That sure got their attention and reactions. By the end of my time with them, they were talking about Tok and Amber and were excited about the possibility of meeting a sled dog when I return to visit them next April. Of course that visit will be a "full meal deal"...not a "mini visit". When asked if they would like to see their teacher dressed up as a musher, their answer was a unanimous YES ! I will return with a PowerPoint presentation of the training months ahead and also of the journey to Nome, Iditarod 2013.
I love sharing my passion with the kids on my classroom visits. I am always amazed at what they have learned about the Iditarod and the dogs. By the time I come to visit, they have spent months reading and learning about the Iditarod. They love to share with me what they have learned and the activities that they have done. The best part is to see kids on fire with learning and reading.
Jan, we truly enjoyed your visit and can't wait to hear more of your adventures as you prepare for the Iditarod! I'm going to show your post to the students at their next library period. They will be thrilled to be featured on your blog. Will stay in touch.
ReplyDelete