Pages

Thursday, March 29, 2012

THURSDAY IN WILLOW

Well, kennel days are always about the same...get up water dogs, scoop the kennel.  Up until today we had a moose cow and calf camping out on our trail.  Sadly the calf died yesterday and today the cow left our trail and headed for the swamp. 

Today we finally took out a team.  A small team, but a team of eager dogs.  When the dogs saw me hooking up the sled and carrying out a bunch of harnesses, they went berserk.  As always, I knew just who I was going to run.  Interesting how I am sure that they think if they bark the loudest, jump the highest, howl, twist and turn, that I will pick them.   I decided to take out the dogs who were left behind, along with Tok and Magic. 

I ran Tok in lead with Thornton(who did not run Iditarod), for old time sakes...they were my very first leaders on my first race in 2009.  Then I took Otter(who did not run Iditarod, but I wish that I had taken him) and Magic(ran on Bob's team), along with Spot and Roan in wheel. 

We just ran out to our turnaround which made for a 4 mile run.  I will have to say that this morning I finally booked my flight home to Edmonds and as I drove my team out of the kennel and down suicide hill and out to the swamp, I was in my glory.  Doesn't matter if it is a 6 dog team or 16,  I find that when I am on the runner I am in heaven. 

The day was nice and I pulled out my camera...."CHANGE BATTERIES" was flashing on my screen.  Bummer.   I wanted to capture the moment and it was plenty warm...not like on Iditarod where most often I never wanted to remove my mitts.  So, I spent the rest of the run enjoying the beauty that was before me and I also enjoyed watching the dogs.  Tok and Thornton leading together as they have done for years, Magic gungho and working hard for a little gal.  Roan and Spot dipping snow and enjoying being in the team. 

Not a moose in sight so that was a good thing.  The run was over before I knew it.  Too warm to take out another team.  Hmmmm....I think that I need to cancel my ticket and reschedule my trip home....

Tomorrow we will run another team in the morning early.  Then it will be off to Wasilla to pick up our return bags from Iditarod and hit the Laundromat. 

5 comments:

  1. Dear Jan, the students wanted to reply to your post.
    Raeye.... Dear Jan, I am very happy that you won the Red Lantern Award. I hope that sometime that you can come to St. Matthew School to talk to us about your trip.
    Lily ... Dear Jan, we are wondering what you will do with the Red Lantern?
    Elijah ... Dear Jan, when will you have time to visit St. Matthew? And.. will you run the next Iditarod?
    Devine ... I hope you had a nice time on the Iditarod. I'm glad your dogs are healthy.
    Danayt ... I hope you had a nice experience running the Iditarod. Hope you'll try again next year!
    Elizabeth ... Stay safe on the trails!
    Maclain ... Which award would you like to win next in the Iditarod? How are your dogs?
    Natalie ... I'm sorry that you had to leave some dogs behind on the trail.
    Ian ... What sled dog race will you participate in besides the Iditarod?
    Jake ... How are your dogs? Do you think they want to participate in another Iditarod?
    Eulie ... I hope you had a good time running the Iditarod! If you run again, I hope you do well.
    Jane ... Have a good time in Edmonds.
    Claire ... How much money did you receive in the Iditarod? Hope the dogs stay healthy.
    Jordyn ... Dear Jan, I hope all your dogs are healthy and not hurt. My favorite dog is Otter!

    All... We love Jan Steves and her dogs! Go team Jan!
    4th grade St. Matthew School

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a quick message to the class of Mrs. Edwards...I will answer all of your messages, but for now I want to let Natalie know that I did not leave any dogs behind on the trail. When I "drop" a dog, it means that I leave them in the care of a veterinarian and there often are also volunteers who help take care of the dog. When I arrived in Nome, my dogs were there waiting for me. All of my dogs are here with me now in Willow and they are all healthy and happy.

      You can count on my visit to Saint Matthew School. I am really looking forward to meeting all of you and Mrs Edwards.

      Delete
  2. Hey, Jan! Glad to hear you've finally booked that flight home. Assume you have airport pick-up. If not, holler. Paul keeps asking what you have planned after you land??? I'm curious to know how Amber fared on the Trail. Her going was so touch and go for a moment! Looking forward . . . Jane M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane...Rick and Trish will be picking me up at the airport...Can't wait til we get together...will fill you in on all the details...unless I have it on the blog before then...(not likely!) Big hug To Paul. See you soon !

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete