Jan Steves, racing in the Iditarod, is sending in reports via phone, email, and any other way she can communicate. Here's the latest transcription.
I am in Ophir. We got in at 5:34 pm Friday the 9th. I wanted to give you guys an update. We have now made it through Finger Lake, conquered the Steps, Rainy Pass, and Pass Creek. From Rohn we did the South Fork of the Kuskokwim, the Buffalo Tunnels, and the Post River where we climbed the glacier. At about that point, I ended up hitting a tree. It was quite the bad hit on my head. But, I’m OK. I got checked out by an emergency doctor after I got to McGrath. Everything is cool.
Then on the Burn to the lakes... I took my 24 [hour rest] in McGrath... I found out my footwear was no good...
Much of this part of Jan's phone call cut out.
Everything has gone fantastic. I am so glad that the first 300 miles are behind me because that was the most technical trail I have ever been on. There were areas that were just incredible through water. I drug through overflow. It ended up that as I was dragging through the overflow, I just thought, “Oh my gosh! I’m getting wet!” And so I spent the day semi-wet but running and letting it dry out with just the cold air.
Monday, March 12, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Very enjoyable to follow along, however virtual it may be. Best of luck to you & your team!
ReplyDeleteThanks for taking time to update us! I know that you are determined & a little hard headed so a bump on your noggin will not deter you from your dream. Keep living your dream!
ReplyDeleteDebi
I see you are on the way to Galena and still at it...you are so awesome! I have SO enjoyed your journey...I consult with Debi daily and we compare notes on what we know. We enjoyed an update over beer and nachos....not to rub it in...LOL! You keep on doing what u have been and you'll have something to brag about or a LIFETIME!!! A nice dinner is on me when you come home. Will look forward to it! Judi
ReplyDeleteJan,
ReplyDeleteI'm so amazed that you are doing this. I can't imagine what it is like--the hard parts and the sublime parts. Hang in there! We're rooting for you!
Tina Frost (Kathleen's friend)
Jan,
ReplyDeleteYou are doing such a great job!! Your rookie year and I believe that you will finish. It is a tough run, but hang in there. We're rootin' for you!!
Nancy Doughty (Iditarod follower for 9 years)
Jan,
ReplyDeleteWe check your progress several times a day here in Edmonds. So glad you and Bob are running so close together. The tree-encounter sounds scary and dangerous, so know we keep you in our prayers. Mush on! Your dogs are amazing!
Sandy Schneider
I bet that running in the iditarod was fun, hard, and cold
ReplyDelete