Jan Steves, racing in the Iditarod, is sending in reports via phone, email, and any other way she can communicate. Here's the latest transcription.
Well, I am in Elim. I think we left Koyuk at 8:30 and arrived in Elim at about 3:30. The plan is to take as short a break as we can and then get back on the trail heading to White Mountain. I will do that on no sleep. So, this will be interesting. I will most likely drop 2 dogs from the team. Tok is tired and I can tell that he is no longer enthused. I know that he could make it to the end, but I will not push him. He is one of my faithful old-timers. The second dog is Bohr as he may have a virus. I think that our runs will be too strenuous if he isn't feeling himself. We are trying to make the banquet in Nome. So, it will be a push. We will have a mandatory 8 hour rest in White Mountain.
Interesting thoughts: vet tape is a lifesaver. I have many fingers taped. Super glue is a lifesaver. I glue my finger splits and there are many. Any bets on whether or not I can get a comb through my hair in Nome? I sure hope that I don't have to get a buzz cut. It is a rather interesting ‘do.’ Musher's secret works great on your hands and face and feet! Just don't use the one that I use on the dogs...I keep one in my toiletry bag.
Our run to White Mountain may take 7 hours.
Socks are changed daily. I haven't had a change of clothes yet. Eewwwe. The dogs don't mind though.
Wind chill at 20 below is cruel. On my run to Koyuk, I was sooooo cold. I have missed many photo ops because it is too cold to take your gloves off.
Monday, March 19, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Congratulations Jan for a job well done. You are an inspiration to all. You should be very proud of yourself for accomplishing such a difficult dream. You are an amazing women.
ReplyDeleteTerry Musgrave
It's fun to read a post from on the run when I know you are safely in Nome and getting ready for that Red Lantern banquet. Wish I could be there. CindyK
ReplyDeleteWay to go Jan I have been sharing you journey with everyone here at work. Your amazing. Enjoy your Banquet and what a thing to check off your bucket list. Congratulation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dave N
ReplyDeleteIt's 5:35PM Monday & I just bet that you've gotten a comb through your hair for the Red Lantern Banquet. Along with hundreds of others, I wish I could be there to celebrate together. Congratulations ... and enjoy each moment. Debi
ReplyDeleteJan
ReplyDeleteEnjoyed watching you make progress to the finish line. What an accomplishment! You did not give up but were able to finish the race. Yahoo from Edmonds!
Lisa
Congraduations on the Red Lantern. Display it proudly. Give Bob a huge for me.
ReplyDeleteGail
I am impressed with how you take care of your dogs. You are great!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on finishing the race. I can't begin to imagine your strength and courage to keep going to the end. Enjoy your Red Lantern and the satisfaction that you are living your dream. What guts and glory!
ReplyDeleteKrstine Frost
GO JAN
ReplyDeleteI was so excited when you finished congratulations love your dogs and hope you can e-mail me soon I watched the whole ceremonial start till I saw you go off I have been so excited and happy for you and so has my teacher.
Emma