![]() |
| Safety Checkpoint |
We had a cross wind leaving Safety for about 6 miles and then had a head wind going up the east side of Cape Nome. Here we are heading to Nome and we have another hill and winds. It seemed like we were traveling forever as we had left White Mountain 65 miles ago and we had traveled about 10 miles through a ground blizzard. At the top of Cape Nome we laid on top of our sleds and took a cat nap. I woke up when my hands got really cold. It was time then to move on.
When we were about a mile and a half outside of Nome, the sirens blew. We could see the lights of Nome ahead of us. As we came up over the sea wall we were escorted by Nome's finest on Front Street. Off in the distance we could see the brightly lit up Burled Arches. There were numerous people there to greet us as Bob arrived under the Burled Arches at 2:55 am and I followed at 2:57 am. Good friend Angie Taggart was there for our finish. It was so great to see her. I was awarded the Red Lantern and the 2012 Iditarod was officially over. I was so glad that I made it all the way to Nome and it was an accomplishment far greater than I had imagined.
I actually woke up without an alarm after 4 and a half hours of sleep. I decided that a bath was far more inviting than a shower. I so loved the hot soak and my muscles were so happy. I looked over my many bruises and wished that I had taken pictures of them when I saw them at McGrath. Then they were so incredibly colorful. Now they were beginning to be more shades of green and yellow.
I headed down to the dog lot and fed and watered the team. Angie met me at the dog lot and then she went to Northern Air Cargo to pick up our dog crates that we were to use flying the dogs home from Nome. While there she looked for Bob's crates and none of his were there to be found. We then found out that they were never shipped. Bob spent the morning assembling my dogs crates while I spent the morning on the phone trying to rustle up dog crates for him. We were successful at piecing together enough dog crates from local mushers and then our luck turned and we received a call from a scratched musher who had all of his crates sitting at Northern Air Cargo waiting to be shipped home. We in turn picked up his crates and were set to go. It was a win/win situation, as we saved him the cost of shipping his crates back and we didn't have to borrow crates from Nome and then ship them back to Nome.
At 6:00 we had a Red Lantern Musher's Banquet and it was a very relaxed gathering of mushers, volunteers, well wishers, and local Nome residents. To put it in perspective, the Nome convention center was packed. Outstanding food, good times, great tales of the trail by numerous mushers who were still in Nome and the presentation of the Red Lantern award by Wells Fargo. It was a fun time had by all. Seven thirty Wednesday morning Mike, our cab driver picked us up and took us down to the dog lot. We loaded up 6 of Bob's dogs into kennels and they were transported by taxi to Northern Air Cargo. The rest of the team and sled were transported by Mike Owens. We said our good byes to the dogs and headed back to front street where we had breakfast and then it was time to meet Alaska Airlines at the dog lot. They came in a large van and within minutes my whole team was loaded into dog kennels and then the sled was loaded up and away they went to Alaska Airlines.
| Mike our Cab Driver while in Nome |
Beth Wheeler picked up Bob's team at Northern Air Cargo and then drove to Alaska Airlines to pick the two of us up. We then went to Alaska Air Cargo and picked up my team and sled. Thanks to Beth, Angie and Rick, everything went like clockwork and there were no glitches. We were soon on our way to Willow.

So happy you are safely in, and so proud of what you accomplished!
ReplyDeleteThank you RuthAnn, I am quite proud too...and it is still all sinking in.
DeleteCongratulations on finishing the race! I've always wondered : Are you given an actual red lantern to keep?
ReplyDeleteKathleen
San Diego
Hi Kathleen, Thank you and Yes, I was presented with an actual working Red Lantern. I will post picutres from the banquet soon. There is also a perpetual very large red lantern trophy that stays in Nome and it has all of the names of the recipients on it. Pretty cool.
DeleteJan, enjoy reading the details of your adventure. Curious about the bruises!
ReplyDeleteLOL...where aren't there any????
DeleteWell, I have a pretty lumpy forhead and it has a very boring bruise on it. When I reached McGrath I discovered some pretty colorful bruises...I said earlier that they put the Northern Lights to shame. I had one on the top of my shoulder, upper upper arm, and and below my shoulder blade and also my elbow. There is only one left...and it is the one on my upper arm.
Jan,
ReplyDeleteEnjoying your ride with you. Thanks.
I found out you were racing from your brother's blog, He sounds very proud of you.
I am so disappointed that he will leave for Europe before I return to Edmonds...and it is so very cool, he is so very proud.
DeleteChecking every day now for your story. Absolutely love hearing every detail, especially about your doggies. So impressed with your accomplishment. When ARE you coming home/south/Edmonds? Jane M
ReplyDeleteJane, I am so surprised how tired I have been at the end of the day...so out of character. I will have to start blogging each day earlier. LOL I am working towards heading home. I have to take care of the dogs and Angie's dogs need to find a home. Can't leave Bob with 40 dogs to care for. We are still waiting for our return bags from Iditarod. They will all need to be gone through and dealt with. I am hoping to be home before the 8th so that I can see my brother before he leaves for Europe. Need any booties for your pooch?
DeleteYeah, booties for my new floor! Actually, no, but appreciate the ones you've already given her! So eager to hear it all. What an amazing experience it was to witness both start and re-start first hand. Unique, once-in-a-lifetime event. Sooooooo glad I came. I'm ready to start making neck lines and powdering booties for your next run? Your commitment has been truly inspiring. And your lovely doggies . . . take good care of you all! Jane M
DeleteMom i am sooooooo proud you will have to tell me all about it
ReplyDeleteI love you!
Kelsey
LOVE YOU TOO KELSEY ! Can't wait to see you. There is so very much to share with you.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the pictures on your post. We have talked about the Red Lantern and the kids enjoyed seeing you holding it. I showed/read some of your earlier posts and they were sad about Tok and Bohr. They are beginning to do some research about sled dogs. These dogs are pretty special.
ReplyDeleteNancy, let the kids know that Tok and Bohr are doing great. Tell them that I just have a very big heart and Tok looked tired. He is well rested and feeling fabulous. He was feeling great when I got to Nome. I bet he wasn't too happy with me for flying him to Nome instead of letting him run it with the team. Bohr on the otherhand was very sick. It was such a good thing that I saw that he wasn't himself. He now is fine too but needed emergency surgery. He had a telescoped intestine. More on that later.
ReplyDeleteGreat to read this reply...esp. "I just have a very big heart and Tok looked tired." :)...hope Bohr is doing well post -op.
Deletedeb from claremont,ca
Hi Deb, These dogs are my babies...(at least the ones that I have been with for the past 4 years. They all have a special place in my heart. Over $3000.00 later, Bohr is doing fabulously. He is near 100 percent and according to the vet, will be 100 percent. He received great vet care and when I arrived in Nome we made to decision to fly him to Anchorage where he could be seen by an emergency vet with more diagnostic equipment. Everyone was very puzzled as to what was wrong with him. A telescoped intestine is more common in puppies.
DeleteJan, I heard about you through an article that your brother wrote with a link to your blog.
ReplyDeleteThere were a lot of what we call "armchair mushers" rooting for you and Bob throughout the race. There was always someone checking to see where you were and speculating as to what might be going on. People read your blog during the race, which made our enjoyment of your race even better.
I hope you will race again. You accomplished something that I can only admire from a distance. There are so very few people in the world who both run AND finish the Iditarod. I know your friends and family are so proud of you.
I look forward to your future posts on the Iditarod.