Pages

Saturday, March 17, 2012


Jan Steves, racing in the Iditarod, is sending in reports via phone, email, and any other way she can communicate.  Here's the latest transcription.

I don't know what day it is.  They just run together, running around the clock.  I had a fabulous run from  Unalakleet to Shaktoolik.  I took a six hour rest and then left Shaktoolik for Koyuk.  There were high winds at about 25 mph or more.  The dogs did great.  It was a slow go and so very cold.   The run seemed to take forever.  Seeing the lights of Koyuk for hours was torturous.  I just wanted to get there.  I left Shaktoolik at 1:30 and arrived at 10:30 pm.  Teams were lost on this leg earlier.  We were so glad that we made it with no detours.  To be honest, it was rather scary for me anticipating the run.  However, once I got out there, I was fine.  Bob's dogs wouldn't lead so I lead 90 percent of the run.  There was no trail and it was tough going for the dogs.  I had to 'gee haw' them from trail marker to trail marker.  I have no idea what the wind chill was but I was very cold.

At the check point, the people were so nice.  We were welcomed to Koyuk and well fed.

Good night.  We are taking an 8 hour break and then will head out.

38 comments:

  1. I am a 60 year old woman who is an avid Iditarod fan. I love dogs as well. You are such an inspriration to me. You are doing what I dream of. Hopefully I will get to see you race many more. I admire your determination. I am looking so forward to your finish. Go Lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan, my friend, the folks posting on the Iditarod page on facebook are affectionately owning the two of you as "our Red Lanterns". We tried to send more Mushergrams from Snoqualmie yesterday while snowshoeing, but they have shut off that privilege. Headquarters in Anchorage must be shutting down. I have watched the videos of each musher coming in and so many are commenting on the extreme winds, sleds snapping off markers so mushers cannot see the trail, etc. So glad to hear you and Bob made it through all that safely and that your bigger doggies were willing to lead through all that! We are having an absolute blast watching your progress and we are all so excited for you that this dream of yours has come to fruition. You'll be in Nome tomorrow sometime! If I had a million dollars I would be hiring a private plane to fly me up there to watch you and Bob finish. Woo wooo wooooo! CindyK from Seattle

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and Bob are amazing. I wonder if you know how many of us are watching and rooting?! You make us all so proud. You are almost there!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am totally blown away. What an update. I thought the other night, here in Crested Butte Colorado, was a bit chilly w/wind. WoW!!! Jan tells a tale of passion, courage, and inspiration. Pulling 4 Ya

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jan, you are getting SO close to Nome!!! I am so proud of you!! Keep up the great mushing and you will be under the big wood arch before you know it!! I will continue to watch your progress and hope they carry your finish live online! I know you will have a BIG smile on your face!! Can't wait to hear your stories of this fantastic adventure! Karen fry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jan... You're about to do it!!! It's a thrill to read about the legs between each station. We have to throw a big victory celebration for you once you're back in Edmonds. Everyone is excited about your upcoming finale. Mush on sister! Rick

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome job Jan! I was up in Anchorage "manning" one of the computers in the stats room and was working with your Iditarider, Terri, and we were cheering you on everytime an update came in. Congratulations on living your dream and I know you will be in Nome before the weekend is over.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Going Jan you are amazing. glad you made it accross the ice now you are out of Elim on your way to White mountain with Lil McKinly and then on to the last big hill before safety, Topkok. watch out for the blow hole going towards the bottom be safe, and have a blast! Say hi to Howard Lincoln in White Mountain if he is hanging around. Hes a great fellow.
    It has been sooooo exciting being able to be a small part of your trip and living through your blogs and pictures you are my hero:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jan you sure picked the year to go with the extreme weather. Way to keep at it. Takes a special breed push through on there first time at it. Lots scratched this year. You are an inspiration to all of us. Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  10. We're hoping you and Bob make it into to Nome today for the surprise waiting for Bob. Sounds like weather hasn't been on your side, but you're getting through it in grand fashion! Congratulations on Living (and fulfilling) Your Dream!! My best to you and Bob. Terry (Bob's sister-in-law)

    ReplyDelete
  11. “Run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up.”
    ― Dean Karnazes

    You are about to do it Jan. Just do it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jane & I fell into each others arms after you left the re-start, of course in pride & also in relief that you were really off, not just that the last minute preparations were done but that accumulation of YEARS of preparation were realized. Now as you near the finish I anticipate even greater pride ... I am so happy for you!!!
    Enjoy every moment of the "Rock Star Wave" you'll be riding for a while ... that is after a hot shower :) Debi

    ReplyDelete
  13. Almost there...something hot to drink and a shower that I'm sure are much anticipated! It's been fun "watching" you from here in Burlington, WA. We had some 'snow' this morning...lol!! Proud of you for living your dream!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Girlfriend... love you lots! Mush On Lady! You are amazing, and almost to Nome! Praying for you. Be safe and enjoy every moment. I wish I could be there in Nome for the finish!
    Kathleen N.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I believe that you and the other last dozen runners are the most incredible people. It is so easy to give up, but incredibly hard to keep going. I admire you 100%!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're almost there. I'm sitting in Nome headquarters with free wifi and GPS tracking, watching where you guys are at. Maybe being a little too OCD about it. :) Hoping to see you before my 11pm flight tonight. I think we'll just miss each other. Jos and I have enjoyed our mini vacation in Nome, such beautiful weather. Guess we'll see you when you guys make it home. Give my dad a big hug for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am in my living room in downtown edmonds. I admire your spunk and am rooting for the pups too..they did right by you. Quite an accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Jan....I've been in NY with no internet access since last Monday.Home finally and I am thrilled that you are still in the game...you should finish tonight or in the am! You and Bob ROCK!!! What an awesome experience you have given us who are with you in spirit. You have realized your dream with a gusto that has taken my breath away at times. What courage you have...such an inspiration you are to me and I'm sure many others. Hope to talk when you have time to catch your breath. Judi

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have been totally obsessed with the Iditarod this year from the very start....staying up late to watch the close race between Dallas and Aliy, to then turning my focus to every other musher on the trail. I am watching your GPS tracker, checking for your blog reports from the trail and will be cheering for you all the way into Nome. Way to live your dreams and making them come true! New fan in Seattle!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I too have been obsessed watching the Iditarod, often waking up in the middle of the night, grabbing my ipad at my bedside and watching Aliy and Dallas sprint to the finish. Now, I still am watching as you and Bob live your dreams. What an inspiration. I will track you to the end in Nome!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! What an inspiration you are! Because you're at the tail end of the race doesn't mean you're any less than those that finished earlier it just means that you're being careful and that's good! Give all your doggies kisses for me...just a bystander in California.
    Good Luck and God Speed,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  22. I see you just got in to Safety. I am sure you will probably give the poochies a snack, may a little rest. What an accomplishment. I bet you can almost see the lights in Nome. I will follow you to the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my gosh almost there woohooo awesome:):)
    Jan You did it:):) In a few hours you will be a Veteran Iditaroder:) Congratulations.
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  24. Way to go Jan! You and Bob are quit a team and your doing a incredible thing. Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You made it! You finished!! Hooray Jan!! Hug those dogs hard!! And when the adrenalin rush ends, get some much needed rest! Wow! What an accomplishment! So very thrilled for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wooo woooo wooooooo!!!! Congratulations from CindyK and her BackPack! I knew you and Bob would make it. Yes yes yes, I'm doing the happy dance!!!! Wooo wooo woooooooooooo

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yahoo! Congratulations on your dream coming true! You did it!!! We have a light blanket of snow on the ground here in Edmonds this morning. Obviously unusual for this time of year, so I think it's our way of connecting with you and sharing your completion of a dream. Hope you sleep well the next few nights! Cheers, Kathleen S.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Jan
    We followed your journey day to day, the silent fans, rooting for you. It warms our hearts to see you fulfill your dream. The prize is not first place, but completion of this monumental endeavor. You became first place in your own personal goal, which is worth far more than the money prize.

    Thanks so much for inspiring our lives. Scratch the dogs' ears for us!

    Paul and Carol (Oregon)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hey Iditarod Veteran! I am so proud of you... can't wait to hear all about it! I am joining Cindy in the happy dance. Woooo Hoooo!
    Love you, Kathleen N

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congratulations! What an incredible adventure and accomplishment. We can't wait to hear about every minute of your journey.

    Bill, Mary and Tyler

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congrats, Jan! You and Bob have done an INCREDIBLE job in your Iditarod adventure. Followed you day by day and have enjoyed tracking your success. Looking forward to hearing all about it! Bob G. & the EHS '74 crew

    ReplyDelete
  32. You are truly an inspiration to me! Congratulations on living your dream and showing people everywhere that whatever you set your mind to you CAN DO as long as you never give up. Thank you Jan!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Jan, Congratulations of your completeing the Iditarod Dog Sled Race. It has been wonderful following this 40th running of the Last Great Race. A couple things to put this accomplishment into perspective:
    1. More people have conquered the summit of Mt. Everest than have completed the Iditarod race.
    2. Your finish time is faster than the winners time in 9 other Iditarod races.
    Great job Jan and team!
    Patrick & Sharon Smith

    ReplyDelete
  34. Bob and Kathleen from Camano Island
    Congratulation!! I followed your run and used Google earth to see what you were going thru or around. It was very exciting for us to send you our good wishes thru space. I hope you could feel all the wonderful good wishes everyone sent you. What a dream you had, AND YOU MADE IT HAPPEN!
    It was good to hear and see that you had a partner along the way. I worried less about you because of another Bob. Tell him I am happy for him also. Your an increditable lady.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Congratulations on your finish. I watched the ceremonial start in Anchorage and the official start in Willow on a beautiful cloudless day. I am now back in CA but followed the race daily. You are an inspiration to all of us over 50. Art Watkins

    ReplyDelete
  36. Jan and Bob,
    CONGRATULATIONS! You have truly lived your dream! We watched your progress each day...so proud of you both and those wonderful dogs! Can't wait for you get home to Willow and share your stories of this marvelous adventure. See you in a few. Love you both, Linda and Larry

    ReplyDelete
  37. Congratulations Jan and Bob, I proud of both of you, what an accomplishment.Good to know you're both safe and warm (hopefully.)
    Pat Ratliff

    ReplyDelete
  38. Congratulations Jan on living your dream!!! It was great to wake up this morning and see you had made it to Nome in the wee hours today!! It has been fun to follow your route each day, some days longer than others, what an inspiration you are! Congrats to those dawgs of yours as well!!! Becky and Dave G

    ReplyDelete