Pages

Thursday, March 22, 2012

BACK HOME IN WILLOW

Well, here I sit at my laptop...still trying to grasp the past 18 days.  I will have to admit, I am fighting the falling eyelids...still sleep deprived, but I wanted to make a post.   I would like to thank you all for following and sharing my dream.  I am so amazed at the following and so touched by the supporting comments and encouragement that you have all showed me. 

This was truly an experience of a lifetime for me and an accomplishment of a lifetime.  I am so happy to have finished this race.  As one friend wrote "finishing last you can still be a winner".  For me finishing Iditarod was just that.   It was a very BIG Win.  I knew from the beginning that my goal was to go under those arches and that would be my win. 

I thought that I had an idea of what it would be like.   I had no idea the reality...it was far more challenging than I had ever imagined.  I thought that I knew what winds were.   I truly had no idea.  I had never experienced winds like I did on this trail and I had never experienced weather so brutal before. 

I am forever in awe of the dogs who I drove down the trail and all the way to Nome.  They are truly amazing animals.  When I made the decision to run Iditarod, I knew that I was taking on a HUGE responsibility for the safety, health and well being of my team.  I needed to take care of these dogs all the way to Nome.  My goal was to come into Nome with happy, healthy dogs.  I came into Nome with 9 dogs on the tow line and they were just that.  Happy and healthy. 

When we arrived at the house, we were met with "Welcome Home Signs".  I will say that we have a wonderful supportive group of friends here who played a very big part of getting us ready for the trail and supporting and praying for our safety and well being down the trail all the way to Nome.  We came into our house and it was cleaned up and there were more banners and also newspaper articles of the race.  What a joy to come home tired and to a clean house !  There is nothing to have to pick up or clean. 

We just finished feeding the dogs and now we are going to get some much needed sleep.  The nice thing is this will be the first morning that we do not need to set an alarm clock.   I am so hoping that I will sleep in and not wake up early. 

There is still so much to share with you all.  I will work on filling in the gaps and sharing with you experiences on the trail.  Tune in to read about falling asleep on the runners, temps down to - 50 degrees,  trail breaking for 200 miles, Ruby to Unalakleet,  drifted snow, incredible headwinds, side winds, mazes of jumble ice,  ground blizzards, dragging through overflow, sleeping through alarm clocks, sled repairs, the dogs that I dropped and why, and more. 





14 comments:

  1. So proud of you and I don't even know you. Thank you for sharing this incredible journey. What can't a Steves do?!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to say that I have been following you since the start of the race. Everyday I would check to see where you were at. I am glad that you finished safe and sound. I look forward to reading more about your adventure. MLWahl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan, so glad to find you home after your adventures! We congratulate you on winning the Red Lantern - what a lovely tradition & story. The kids are excited to hear more about your and the dogs' trail stories. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jan...glad you are back in your "Alaskan home". Both you and Bob deserve Congratulations and a few nights of good peaceful sleep. Can't wait to hear the particulars of your journey. Judi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Jan! I'm sure you are glad to be back in Willow! Rest up and take care of yourself! What a great accomplishment- I'm so proud and happy for you! It was fun to get on that website and follow your progress! Lots of cool videos of all the mushers at various checkpoints, too. You could probably write a great book,now!! If you slow down long enough!! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sleep well, my friends. And then be prepared for some non-stop talking and blogging! We want to know everything!! Finally saw a photo of Bob repairing his sled, so got a glimpse of that particular glitch. Would love to know who got dropped, when, why. Did Pepe make it? Wondering if BOTH of you can manage a trip south to fill us with your stories in person. That would be sooooo fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh geez. That "sleep well my friends" comment was from who else but CindyK in Seattle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful for you to have such good friends to clean the house for you!! You can concentrate on yourself and the dogs instead of having to think about cleaning up! Hopefully I'll get to meet you in person in the not too distant future - haven't even seen Bob's home yet! Get your rest - both of you - and take care. Terry Puhr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thanks goes to Beth Wheeler. She, along with so many others showed us incredible support of our journey...

      Delete
  9. Dear Jan,

    The kids in Duvall, WA are so excited that you won the Red Lantern Award! What an honor to be the person who officially concludes this year's Iditarod. You truly are an example of determination and courage. We have been following you in the standings as well as on your blog. We look forward to reading more about your adventure. Congratulations and thank you for letting us be a part of your adventure!

    Julie Eppenberger and Alyssa, Makenna, Gavin, Nathan, Aaron, Melani, Shane, Carson, and Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to visit when I get home. I will be bringing dog booties worn by these incredible athletes on the Iditarod Trail.

      Delete
    2. We are SO excited about meeting you in person! Thank you so much! For now, please enjoy a nice rest and "happy healing"...(direct quote from the students).

      Delete
  10. Sleep & rest is well deserved! Will wait patiently to read all your stories about life on the Iditarod Trail.

    Deb from Claremont,CA

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your brother is more than extremely proud of you. He told us folks in Atlanta about your trip before he began his 3 hour talk. Congratulations on finishing the run. Thanks for taking time away from rest and food to write / phone / however the blog.
    Jinna from Atlanta who has been to Alaska

    ReplyDelete