Got up early, I guess I should say the regular time, which is early for some. Up at 5:30. Looked at the outdoor thermometer and noticed that our temperatures have dropped to - 18 degrees. Dressed and out the door with my buckets to water the dogs. It is always dark in the morning when I go out to water and scoop the kennel, so you can see that I am wearing a headlamp. I do have a light out in my kennel, but it doesn't light up the entire kennel.
Because of the cold snap that we are in, my morning water is bated with more kibble so that the dogs are getting more calories. They are also getting a snack of turkey skins and fat balls, along with a meat snack.
After watering the dogs I loaded up my Subaru with meat and fish and headed over to my outdoor butcher shop. Fun, fun at these temperatures. I wasn't sure how long I was going to last, but I was pleasantly surprised. Only my feet were cold. Next time I will wear my white bunny boots, as they are warmer than the black ones.
| Meat and fish in the back of my Subaru... |
And put coats on all of them...
![]() |
| The Red Coats are Waiting... |
After the run, I loaded up the car again with salmon and meat. It was off to the band saw and more cutting. Bit by bit, One Bite at a Time ! Now I have 450 pounds of meat cut up and quite a number of salmon cut up.



We love this! Joey said you could call your team "The Little Red Riding Hoods". Samuel said, "They look like capes!" Michael said, "They are so adorable!" Maia said, "They're really cute!"
ReplyDeleteGreat post Jan. Thank you!
Julie and the Cherry Valley kiddos
Love it ! And I think that they are cute too.
DeleteA question for you. When you are in the Iditarod race do you have to bring the coats with you in case the temp drops way down? That would seem like a lot of extra stuff to pack in the sled, especially at the start with 16 dogs.
ReplyDeleteHi Steven, sorry this took so long for me to answer...I guess I missed your comment.
ReplyDeleteYes, I bring coats with me...and yes, it is a lot of extra bulk in the sled.
Some mushers send them out to strategic places on the trail.