Pages

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Update on Chip


Chip resting comfortably in the Vet Clinic at Rainy Pass

I would like to thank the Volunteers and Veterinarians at Rainy Pass for making our stay welcomed and as comfortable as they could.  When I got back to Rainy Pass, the Vets took Chip into their care.  They told me that they would let me know when visiting hours were.   When they examined him they too figured that he had a broken leg.  After they re-splinted him with a canine splint (amazing how much better that fits !), and checked all his vitals I was told that he was ready for visitors.    Actually, they let me bring in my sleeping bag and I slept right along side of Chip.  He slept with his head on mine.  What a sweetheart.  

Chip was such a great patient.  He was and is so good natured and laid back.  He was eating well, but we were limiting his food, hoping to get him on a flight to Anchorage, but planes weren't flying.  When I took him outside to pee...it was obvious that he was doing great.  He had to mark everything and anything.  He wasn't letting any smells get past him.  He would practically drag me out the door and he was learning fast how to get around on three legs.  

Many thanks to all of the school kids who made blankets for dogs.  You can see that Chip is covered by two of them.  

Chip got the treatment of a V.I.D. (Very Important Dog).  He was flown out in the arms of his very own Veterinarian.  When he arrived in Anchorage, he was taken to the Emergency Care Clinic, where we picked him up and took him home.  

Chip hanging out at home
waiting for his pre-surgery visit



Post surgery...movie night.  

Chip has adapted well to life in the house.   He still drags me out to go pee and then tries to also drag me out to the dog lot.  I know that he misses being out with his buddies.  In the early morning hours he joins in with their morning howls.  He is one LOUD dog and his howls are very high pitched.   There is no sleeping through his howls.  It is so nice that he is so good natured and laid back.  As a result, he spends most of his day just hanging with us.  I do tether him to the coffee table so that he is following doctors orders.  

He has put in a request for some sled dog movies...not really into the "chick flicks"!  8 Below,  Iron Will, and Snow Dogs.  Go figure !










2 comments:

  1. Thank you for putting your dogs first. It is such an example that you show, knowing how hard it must have been to give up your race to care for Chip. You are a winner in my book. Gracie in Washington

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Gracie. I was devastated...but the decision was an easy one for me. I could not have left Chip. Jan

    ReplyDelete