Pages

Saturday, March 8, 2014

ONE SLED BACK HOME - - THANK YOU REGAL AIR !

Sled and Bag waiting for me at Regal Air

I spent the better part of yesterday on the phone trying to make arrangements to get my two sleds off the trail and safely home.  One Prairie bilt sled was in Rainy Pass and the other sled was in McGrath.  I was told that the reality was that my sled in Rainy Pass could be out there into April.   That sled is my mushing life...harnesses, gangline, cooker, cooler, beaver mits, beaver hat, helmet, sleeping bag, and the list goes on.

By the end of the day, I had made great progress.   Regal Air had graciously flown my sled and sled bag back to Anchorage.   I talked with them about Jim Lanier's sled as well, and it looks like his would be flown out today.   A HUGE thank you to Regal Air.

I drove into Anchorage immediately and was so happy to see my sled and sled bag waiting for me.
With sled lashed to the top of my Subaru, and the bag stuffed into the back, I was on my way back to Willow.   I took Buzz into Anchorage with me and I had to chuckle.  He had a comfortable bed atop of my sled bag.



I was also successful in getting my McGrath sled pulled from the mass of Iditarod sleds.  Thank you Mark Cox.   It was tagged on a separate billing freight collect.   Well worth the 45 dollars to ship it back directly.  I should be able to pick up that sled Tuesday or Wednesday.

Today, Bob is going to reassemble my Rainy Pass sled.  (I had to break it down so that it could be fit in a small plane.  Then I will take two teams out for a run.  Our trails should be beautiful with the foot of new snow that we got.

7 comments:

  1. Jan, glad to hear you are home safe. I hope you and your dogs weren't too beat up on the race. If you haven't seen it ADN online has a video from Jeff King's helmet cam that shows a 4 minute clip of what all you mushers had to go through. It gives a small idea of how bad it was. Keep mushing.
    Steven

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. H Steven, It is good to be home safe, but I will always wonder how I would have fared. I watched Jeff King's video and it seemed horrifying...I watched the full 7 or 8 minute clip. I was glad that I made it through the steps as well as I did. Best time through that section in 3 years...hard to believe!

      Delete
  2. So glad to imagine you mushing today! Thanks for keeping us up-to-date.
    Debi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad all is safe and back home! The 4th graders were devastated when I showed them the Jeff King video! I can't even imagine surviving such a grueling ride!!

    We are all thankful for your and the dogs' well-being.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jan, I love reading your blog! Thank you for sharing insight in your adventures. Good times and tough ones, they are real and well written. I'm glad you and your team are home safe and sorry this race ended early. Wishing you the very best, Ben

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Ben. Hoping to figure out which pics you got and send you some final pics of mini Ben

    ReplyDelete