Pages

Friday, March 14, 2014

REMEMBERING TOK....

It is with a very sad heart that I am writing...Yesterday, Ted told me that while I was out on the Iditarod, Tok died.  I knew that Tok's time was short, and was preparing myself this.  I visited Tok on a regular basis, bringing him treats and spending time talking to him.  Tok was so very precious to me.  He was the reason for my qualifying for the Iditarod.   He led in every Alaskan race that I was in, up until and including Iditarod 2012.  After Iditarod 2012, I retired Tok.  I then made arrangements with Ted English to purchase my team. However, he would not sell me Tok.  He was a special dog to each of us.

Tok has been know as the "One Ear Up Dog".  Last year I named my kennel after Tok.  "One Ear Up", in honor of Tok.  All the school kids that I visit know Tok by name.

Serum Run, 20 miles from Nome

This is a picture of Tok and Jack when they 
brought me into Nome on the Serum Run in 2011.  


 My One Ear Up dog...


Here Tok is in lead with Carmack at the 
Ceremonial Start in downtown Anchorage.  
Iditarod 2012


Hazel taking Tok for a walk...


 You are forever in my heart, Tok...




10 comments:

  1. Jan, I am so sad! I never got to meet Tok, but he always a special dog to me!! I know how broken-heartened you must be! Keeping you in my prayers ... you've had such a stressful time lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy, He was a very special dog and I loved him so very much. Jan

      Delete
  2. We’re so sad to hear about Tok, Jan. Thank you for sharing your special memories of him and know that our thoughts are with you at this sad time. Love, Cec and Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cecile and Helen. I have fond memories of Tok hanging out in your back yard while I was visiting. He was such a sweetheart.

      Delete
  3. I have to say that Iditarod 2014 has been exceptionally difficult, and this news just makes it all around awful. I'm so sorry, Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jan, Sorry to hear about Tok. He was a great dog! Good memories of puppy Hazel taking him for a "walk" in our backyard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your photo...great memories. Glad that you got to meet Tok. Jan

      Delete
  5. So sorry to hear this Jan. I remember meeting Tok with Alyssa and we all took him to the dog park in Edmonds. It was my first experience seeing how much sled dogs DO love to run! And to see how fast a musher has to be to catch them. :) Your love for Tok is inspiring and is always evident in how you speak so fondly of him. Sending hugs and deepest sympathies to you, Bob and Ted.

    ~Julie E. @ CV in Duvall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, that was a great time at the dog park. I am so glad that you were able to meet us there. You will get to meet Yen this year. Look forward to visiting! Jan

      Delete