Well, my Iditarod was going very well for me. It was a great start. Far more organized than the last 2 years. However, it was down to the wire getting the dogs into the tow line and ready to head to the starting chute. There was a lot of last minute strategizing of how to handle the trail. How to run the dogs. I truly believed that Iditarod was going to have us start in Fairbanks. At first I was not at all for a start in Fairbanks, then as more and more trail reports came out, it was my route of choice. Last minute, the decision was back to the Northern Route. So now I was faced with unknown challenges ahead...ones that definitely would be far greater than ever before.
I was not alone, feeling the apprehension of horrible trail reports. I read an article written by Craig Medred night before the Ceremonial Start. It was not a good bedtime story, but rather a story that could be responsible for horrible nightmares. I wondered "should I withdraw from the race? Was I crazy to go forward?" I made the decision that I was not going to withdraw, that I was going to do my best and go for it. Face each challenge head on. Both the dogs and I have worked so hard and long in training.
More than anything, I wanted to finish my last Iditarod in Nome and I knew that I could do far better than my first Iditarod in 2012. But again, still my goal would be with happy healthy dogs. I could be happy with a personal win...my own race.
The first two days on the trail were very warm. Chad, one of my wheel dogs seemed to be the most affected by the heat. I stopped the team on a regular basis to let them eat snow and cool down. At one point I even took out my thermometer and took Chad's temperature. He was fine, however, I was taking no chances. I was so glad when the evening came and the temperatures cooled.
My plan was to run my dogs all the way to Skwentna...with no stop at Yentna or a camp between Yentna and Skwentna. I was hoping that wouldn't be a mistake.
...a work in progress. to be continued.
Friday, March 7, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Jan, Thanks for your post. Your fans are glad to hear from you. As I wrote in my last e-mail to you ... when you wonder what others may think of you, my Dad would say, " Hold you head high and spit in thieir eye". Love and admiration ... debi
ReplyDeleteHi Debi, My head is held high. Thanks for your words of encouragement and your love...This was the start of my best Iditarod ever. My run down the steps was my best ever...even under these conditions. I am sad that it ended on my way to to the Gorge...but my responsibility is to my dogs and I had an injured dog to take care of. In my sadness, my head is high...
ReplyDeleteGreat to hear from you Jan! We were all getting a bit concerned about what might have happened. Love hearing your account of the trail and so very proud of you and your team! Hugs to you and love to your pups. I look forward to your next post!
ReplyDeleteThanks Lezlie, more to come soon.
Delete